Autism-friendly events

Rate this topic

LNERW1

Posted (edited)

As someone diagnosed with autism at age eight, and of course a railway modeller, exhibitions can sometimes bring conflicting emotions. I’m about to leave for the Wexford show, which is a nice, relatively quiet affair, but it’ll be the fourth exhibition I’ve been to, and out of all of them, last year’s South Dublin show sticks out as an interesting one, as it was set up in classrooms, with the only really large hall being relatively quiet. This, along with last year’s Autumn Wexford show, was a sharp contrast to the Great Electric Train Show, last year in Milton Keynes, which was a busy, full-on affair with very little accommodation for those who might have difficulty coping with loud, concentrated noise, busy spaces, etc. I suppose this may be a large attraction of a show- the hallowed “atmosphere” of an exhibition, but I don’t think providing some quiet space nearby would affect that. Please share your opinions on this, as I think accommodating those with neurological disorders such as autism, or ADHD, even things like dyslexia, with more legible signs, is important. Model shows have actually gotten really good at accommodating physical disabilities, but maybe it’s time to look towards helping those with invisible disabilities- it’s just as helpful.

Edit: sorry, I should have clarified that the importance of this may be more, well, *important* because a growing number of railway modellers are affected by neurodivergence (which I feel is actually a slightly disrespectful term, but most people seem to prefer, so I’ll use it here).

Edited by LNERW1
Just removing question mark from title as it looks a little odd
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3

Certainly the old harmonstown site was far too crowded with people with disabilities such as yours (and indeed mine, since aged 11 I think!). However generally when it comes to these events it can be hard to accomidate things like this as the best of times. What I always found was that taking breaks from the large crowds every once in a while and going to a less busy area is the way to go. 

• Like 2

The two dublin shows with small usually crowded class rooms do not seem conducive to wider open spaces with less congested circulation. But I believe one of the dublin shows might be changing venue to more open space that facilities easier circulation. Personally I found the Wexford venue better from a space/noise perspective, and hospitality seating, etc.

Good that people are thinking about such things more these days. Model shows can be very venue dependent and the more crowded and noisy they are, the less fun too. Same with pubs, restaurants etc too.

My own bete noir are the folk who carry a parachute (aka rucksack) on their back, effectively doubling their footprint and never good in a crowded hall. 

I rarely go to the cinema these days, mainly because of the adverts beforehand, which seem full of flashing images and extreme volume. Let it be said, I saw the Who, Led Zeppelin, Yes and many other rock bands, back in the day, so I know the meaning of LOUD, but can't see the point of stuff that is in your face or invading my personal space.

Grumpy old man? Probably - and have been since my early twenties!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

We have held a few autism-friendly events before at the railway at Downpatrick, e.g. events with no music, reduced passenger numbers, and dimmed lighting. We're looking into doing more in the future, as well has having ear defenders, a quiet space specifically for neurodivergent people, and calm bags for both adults and children.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

6 hours ago, GSWR 90 said:

We have held a few autism-friendly events before at the railway at Downpatrick, e.g. events with no music, reduced passenger numbers, and dimmed lighting. We're looking into doing more in the future, as well has having ear defenders, a quiet space specifically for neurodivergent people, and calm bags for both adults and children.

Really great to hear, as preserved railways in particular can be very, well, loud. I remember (not too fondly) a trip on Flying Scotsman at the Nene Valley, and although it was a great trip, when we went up to Scotsman it was LOUD. (Also in BR Green as 60103- not at all a fan of literally all preserved locos being in BR livery except in the NRM) 

On 8/5/2024 at 10:58 PM, David Holman said:

My own bete noir are the folk who carry a parachute (aka rucksack) on their back, effectively doubling their footprint and never good in a crowded hall.

Funny, I have a sort of rule of thumb at model railway exhibitions- if there's someone aged about 16-25 wearing a backpack and a beanie (long hair also helps), they are 100% a Thomas fan. I am myself, so I know how to identify "other members of the herd" but I've always thought it's such a weird but true stereotype.