Model part

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Please pardon my immense ignorance. I’m trying to scratch build and I need the particular part pictured below. It’s the riveted metal “beams” (?) that are on the sides of some vans. I don’t know what it’s called and I just wondered if anyone knew a company that makes these or a shop that sells them. Or do people normally just make their own? 
Thanks in advance for any info,

John

IMG_9863.jpeg

Edited by Johnny B. Good
Spelling

Hi John,

What scale and material are you working with ?

I build most of my models from plasticard of and I use various sections of Plastruct or Evergreen sections that come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

As Robert noted above Archers do rivet transfers as does Railtec which I have found to much easier to source direct from Railtec's website.

DSCF1612.thumb.JPG.ec678ae7472cb2427d14590892d3a50d.JPG

This is a OO gauge crane jib that I have made up from 2mm and 1.6mm angles and various pieces of square section.

DSCF1613.thumb.JPG.a3daa07642ddf98b5102225f3782fd23.JPG

This is the rest of it although I haven't applied the rivet transfers yet.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • WOW! 2

21 hours ago, Johnny B. Good said:

Hi all,

Please pardon my immense ignorance. I’m trying to scratch build and I need the particular part pictured below. It’s the riveted metal “beams” (?) that are on the sides of some vans. I don’t know what it’s called and I just wondered if anyone knew a company that makes these or a shop that sells them. Or do people normally just make their own? 
Thanks in advance for any info,

John

IMG_9863.jpeg

John

Gareth Brennan, whose scratch-built models in plastic are amongst the best I've ever seen, tells me that Plastruct TFS 1 is the stuff you need for this job.

Good luck with your build.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Posted (edited)
On 9/7/2024 at 11:21 AM, Robert Shrives said:

Hi 

Often called strapping or "iron works.   You can buy etched sheets to cut out, also a product called Archer rivets which are a resin rivet head on transfer/ decal backing sheets in varying specs and these can be laid on to and painted - very effective. 4MM33: Wagon Strapping – Wizard Models Limited

Hope that helps

Robert

Thanks Robert, that does help. And thanks Eoin, Gibbo Galteemore and Alan I really appreciate all your help. 
John

Edited by Johnny B. Good
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2