Pre-1920 GS&WR brake van

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Saw this in a picture taken at Rosslare some time between 1910 and probably at latest 1915 or 1920.

I was aware of this type of van, but rarely do decent pictures of them turn up. They were much less common here than in Brexitstan, but a few lines had them - a combined goods van and brake van, known just as brake vans here, but in Britain they also called them, I believe, "road vans".

image.jpeg.897ebe13779057455d33c1b20ff6c5a9.jpeg

I seem to recall seeing a kit somewhere, some time, of a model of a British equivalent of one of these, but I have no idea where - does anyone have any idea? They are slightly longer in wheelbase than a conventional van of that era, but certainly could not be described as "long wheelbase", like, for example a British Railways standard brake van, or a Great Western "Toad" with its distinctive wide balcony.

In terms of combined guards' and goods vans there was, of course, the famous No. 5 (5J to the GSR) on the Courtmac branch in Wishht Caark, boy, but that thing was actually short wheelbase and was only a 7 ton van. The Sligo Leitrim, with its myriad of the non-standard, had some sort of equivalent, but it looked nothing remotely like this design. I have an idea the GNR had vans of this nature a very long time ago. The BNCR had short-to-standard wheelbase vans of this type too, but again a different design entirely. At least a few made it into the 1950s. I think there was at least one knocking about the Derry Central area until that all closed.

As far as the GSR was concerned, it is almost certain that these had disappeared before 1930, so unsuitable for CIE days - but it would be interesting to have a model of one, or something close, if anyone knows of a suitable kit.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

The Kernow Models LSWR "Road Van" might offer a basis?

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/43665/SB003G-LSWR-10-Ton-Goods-Brake-Van-number-S54466

I bought mine because it was supposed to be "similar" to some BCDR brake van. Patrick might be able to share light?

Ye Gods, @Galteemoregot it up two minutes before me!

The B&NCR had something with a side door like this too - I'll have a look when short of things to do!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Funny 1

Just looking at the proportions, I’d reckon a GWR road van would come close. They’re a very rare job, a standard van with goods van doors added on. There’s a picture of a laser cut model on Didcot Design Services, although I can’t call it up on the site.

Page down on the GWR modelling site for details:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Signal Post said:

@jhb171achillI am sure that you probably saw it already but @Irishswissernie posted a photo last saturday of just such a van on the UTA system, in full living techicolour (especially the rust!)

Missed that one so far - must look! But that will be one of the last Belfast & Northern Counties ones.

4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Just looking at the proportions, I’d reckon a GWR road van would come close. They’re a very rare job, a standard van with goods van doors added on. There’s a picture of a laser cut model on Didcot Design Services, although I can’t call it up on the site.

Page down on the GWR modelling site for details:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html

I think the older of those two could be doctored. The actual GWR one is too long, though if a good half of the balcony end could be chopped off, we're in with a chance. But the side and end detail (not to mention the two wagon doors) would require so much alteration that I'd say a scratch build might be easier - and even quicker.

I just had this notion about one of these things being "stranded" down in the fictitious world of Dugort Harbour and lasting to the 1960s....!

• Like 1