Class 450 & Class 80 PROCUREMENT PORTFOLIOS

Rate this topic

Kirley

interesting reading Kirley - thanks for posting. im a little confused about the operation of the dead man breaking system....

'The Class 80 unit is fitted with a standard three-position time-based ‘Deadman’ vigilance system. The pedal is normally held in the mid position and depressed every minute (timing can be varied) to prevent the equipment entering an emergency phase and applying the brakes. If the pedal is released a normal ‘Deadman’ Emergency brake application is made after a few seconds. This switch takes the form of a foot pedal placed in the footwell at the driver’s feet.'

does this mean the driver has to tip the pedal every minute to avoid the breaks being applied?confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Interesting reading indeed! Am I right in thinking that the maximum loading gauge in the UK is 2700, and the max width of the Class 80 is 2879mm, which would make their chance of purchase in GB unlikely? or is weight and axel loads a factor? They might be going continental to other less loading gauge conscious parts of Europe?

Interesting reading indeed! Am I right in thinking that the maximum loading gauge in the UK is 2700, and the max width of the Class 80 is 2879mm, which would make their chance of purchase in GB unlikely? or is weight and axel loads a factor? They might be going continental to other less loading gauge conscious parts of Europe?

I think the 80 Class body shells are the same width as a standard BR MK2 coach the extra width is over the bogies due to the wider track gauge.

Along with re-gauging the power car bogies would need to be replaced/rebuilt for use in the UK, the trailer and intermediat caar bogies could be swapped with standard BR B4s.

An 80 Class set would be a very useful train either for a commercial operator or heritage line I am not sure if axleload would be an issue in the UK getting type approval, re-gauging, full mechanical overhaul, interior re-fit, fitting central door locking and retention toilets would be expensive.

Is there a rumor that a set is going to Downpatrick?