Getting into US modeling.

Rate this topic

For someone new to the dark side of modeling.

What or who would be the manufactures to look up. I hear Bachmann leave alot to be desired for accuracy on the US side of things.

Mainly looking for quality models of SD-40/70s, ES44s, Dash 9s.

Then for purchasing online, who are generally the go to e-tailers seeing as there is little to no US stock this side of the pond. I take it customs and revenue will have to get their share too?

For someone new to the dark side of modeling.

What or who would be the manufactures to look up. I hear Bachmann leave alot to be desired for accuracy on the US side of things.

Mainly looking for quality models of SD-40/70s, ES44s, Dash 9s.

Then for purchasing online, who are generally the go to e-tailers seeing as there is little to no US stock this side of the pond. I take it customs and revenue will have to get their share too?

Welcome to the Darkside!

Ok, SD40s - Kato, Athearn did one too but their tooling has worn out and was pretty old. I would suggest holding off for a while as I would bet a Genesis one will be announced later this year.

SD40-2 - Kato (avoid the first run as there was issues with pick ups) and Athearn RTR.

SD 50/60 - Athearn

SD70 spartan cab - Athearn Genesis.

SD70M - Athearn Genesis

SD70MAC - Kato and Athearn Genesis - both very good.

SD70ACe and M-2 - MTH and Athearn Genesis - prefer the genesis myself.

ES44s - Intermountain, Tower 55 and Athearn Genesis. Have 2 Intermountains, they're nice. Tower 55 is now defunct but still in demand. Athearn Genesis bought the tooling of the T55 and have recently released it with upgrades. Waiting to get one to compare but I reckon it has the Intermountain one licked.

Dash 9 - Athearn RTR and Kato. Kato would be the one to go for.

As for shopping. If you keep it to around $180 or below including shipping you shouldnt get stung by customs. Anything with sound youre looking at customs charge of around €50 on top of the price for customs. It's still competitive/cheaper than what you would pay here or in the UK.

try http://www.modeltrainstuff.com, http://www.trainworld.com or Ebay. UK supplier http://www.modeljunction.info.

I can post some pics of specific models you have in mind if you like (and I have them)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, that's a good to run over.

I was into airsoft for a number of years and imported alot form Hong Kong, everything was picked up by customs even $120-$150 pistols. The UPS driver got to know me from all the C.O.Ds and started asking me about airsoft and what model I got this time etc. He used to be wrecked form some of the rifles he had to carry to the door.=)) I'd say hes happy I gave it up.

I reckon my first darksider would be an ACe, really like the heritage locos. Are they limited runs? Also what's the rolling stock situation like? just go with what you like the look of type of thing.

Thanks for that, that's a good to run over.

I was into airsoft for a number of years and imported alot form Hong Kong, everything was picked up by customs even $120-$150 pistols. The UPS driver got to know me from all the C.O.Ds and started asking me about airsoft and what model I got this time etc. He used to be wrecked form some of the rifles he had to carry to the door.=)) I'd say hes happy I gave it up.

I reckon my first darksider would be an ACe, really like the heritage locos. Are they limited runs? Also what's the rolling stock situation like? just go with what you like the look of type of thing.

You after Norfolk Southern or UP heritage locos? Athearn do them in standard runs so you wont be paying a premium.

Rolling stock, you'd be better buying from the UK or from ebay. Atlas, BLMA, Exactrail, Kato, Walthers/Proto200, Athearn, Intermountain all very nice.

You after Norfolk Southern or UP heritage locos? Athearn do them in standard runs so you wont be paying a premium. .

The NS locos. Saw a few photos online of about 20 of them all around a round house with one on the turntable. Amazing sight.

Drop out to the Bray Wheelers gig when its advertised, next one is mid August

Brendan Curran attends most times and carries a lot of US stock

I have some Rivarossi Steam if you are into it, Cab Forward, Allegheney, FEF Northern 4-8-4 and some other weird and wonderful bits!

Checked it out, thanks.

Also Warbonnet, can the sound be turned off on the Genesis SD70s? Really tempted by UP1995 but can't decide on the standard of DCC version. I'd rather not have the sound on while running on DC, my Hornby class 60 does that and starts to do my head in after a while.

Checked it out, thanks.

Also Warbonnet, can the sound be turned off on the Genesis SD70s? Really tempted by UP1995 but can't decide on the standard of DCC version. I'd rather not have the sound on while running on DC, my Hornby class 60 does that and starts to do my head in after a while.

I don't think so unless you adjust the CV settings on a DCC system to turn the sound off first. In DCC you can turn it off with F8.