Wi Fi running of locomotives

Rate this topic

dave182

Yeah, tis indeed. As a firm DC man, I thought it had already gone this way?!? Is it a case of just one dropper and super clean track, and off you go? Will we see the advent of Lithium Ion batteries within steam tenders, 201's or egv's then and the dirtiest track imaginable? Just park your loco on the "programming track" just like you'd do with the DeWalt? Truly wireless layouts??? Patent office here I come....

R.

The Crest system uses a 2.4GH transmitter receiver similar to RC model planes and helicopters rather than Wi Fi technology. Its a pretty good system has been available for many years the main change seems to be the mobile phone style keyboard transmitter. Mainly used for G scale with either on board or track power or HO track power like Patrick's layout. I am gradually converting the garden railway from DCC to on board battery RC using the Australian RCS system. Finding a space for a radio receiver/power controller and batteries in an HO or OO gauge loco will be challenging, its tight enough fitting the gear in a G Scale loco, many users place the batteries and control gear in a coach or box car with a jumper lead to the loco.