230 in york road

Rate this topic

Fire damaged 230 was hauled to Dublin Connolly on Sunday morning (25th) by 112. Also in the consist was MkIII EGV 89605. The pipes you saw were to connect the braking system on 112 with that on the EGV, the brake pipes on 230 having been damaged in the fire at Goraghwood on 6 June. Chris Playfair has photos of the train in York Rd, Belfast Central and departing for Dublin, see York Road Depot on Sunday 25th sees 112 coupled to 230 at York Road with Gen Van 89605 with the 1000 York Road / Connolly Transfer. Loco 230 caught fire at Goraghwood on the 6th June and has been in York Road since then. It is reported that when the loco reaches Inchicore Works, It will undergo a full damage assessment before deciding what the future for the locomotive is. 230813

Sitting outside the old Connolly workshop in Dublin yesterday evening.

Was connected to 072, itself looking fairly battered and forlorn, with half its IE logo worn away and an orange side door from a 141 atatched. But at least its working!

I saw the other side of 230, to the one in the picture, the engine door is laying open and the burn/smoke damage is actually worse there, and from there it goes across the top of the loco.

I imagine it maybe transferred to Inchicore in due course by 072.

Hopefully inchicore will repair it. I wonder why she was in york road? Or had she been there since the fire perhaps?

I would say one of the NIR GM's hauled it back to York Road after the fire and she has been sitting there ever since. Perhaps it was decided to take it that way as by time it was ready to haul, there were more traffic implications going towards Dublin than the other way.

Also maybe she wasn't seen around York Road before as she could have been in a shed awaiting a decision on removal/repair and only became visible the other day in preparation for the journey south with 112.

Edited by Blu Bianco

Hopefully inchicore will repair it. I wonder why she was in york road? Or had she been there since the fire perhaps?

230 has been in York Road since she had the fire ,heres a link to a distance pic of here at the depot in July

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/30451511_WW29sr#!i=2666033658&k=LNDFvfF&lb=1&s=A

I will put some photos of 112+230+89605 in the Lurgan & Portadown areas on mysite in the next few hrs

Edited by Gordon71

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...