NCC Wagons

Rate this question

Dunluce Castle

Question

Hi,

I'm hoping some people can help me out here please.

I'm wanting to make a rake of 15/17 NCC wagons to go along with my (not yet built) NCC U2.

I have looked through all the books and done some research but all I can find are vague photos showing wagons in the background.

So if anyone has any plans or photos of NCC wagons could you please post them here or send me a PM.

I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Nelson

Here's some of my recent work,

image.jpg

image.jpg

8 answers to this question

Dunluce, that is seriously good stuff! Just for info, the guards van should be all over grey, no black bits, and a somewhat darker shade. (Yours looks like the DCDR version, which is entirely inaccurate, unfortunately - as is the black chassis on their "H" van). The reddish brown used on some wagons is close enough to BR bauxite, available from model shops in England. The NCC used standard LMS wagon grey, again available from Humbrol or whoever makes their paints nowadays.

You will find photos of NCC wagons in the background in various photos in the IRRS premises in Dublin. For one of such youth, if you pardon me for saying, as others have said your standards are at the very top of the game. Your depth of knowledge is also, so membership of the IRRS would doubtless be invaluable to you. There is a wealth of information in their archives, and members who are regular attenders would be delighted to help you, I am sure.

Of all the major companies, though, illustrations of their goods stock does seem harder to come by in books, for some reason; possibly because courtesy of the UTA, so much goods traffic in the NCC area vanished between the mid 50s and mid 60s.

Good luck! :tumbsup:

Hi,

Many thanks for your help guys.

I will make another NCC brake van soon, a 10 ton one this time and follow your advice.

Yes, Popeye I have seen those drawings in the resources section before they are top notch.

If anyone has any more info on NCC wagons? Then do please feel free to post.

Nelson

Edited by Dunluce Castle

I did my wagons from the drawings on our website, though still fret from time to time over how accurate the underframes are...

However, well done with your efforts thus far, especially the brown van - built on commercial underframes I presume? In 4mm scale, others may correct me, but the Ratio wagon chassis was always a good starting point, especially if you change the wheels for something closer to scale [and better running]. Given that many of the so called Irish RTR wagons look to me like re-branded BR ones, a bit of scratchbuilding and kit bashing is the way to go if you want greater accuracy.

One day perhaps, someone will write a book on Irish wagons, like the many which exist for English railways - preferably with lots of scale plans & clear photos. If so, I will be first in the queue to buy one!

Nelson - sometimes I think I must sound like a long playing record in plugging the IRRS ;-)

However, I think you would find all sorts of stuff there which would be of great interest to you. There are many IRRS members who regularly read and contribute to this board, so you will find lots of help and guidance should you visit. You mention photos - there are lots!