Walk in 3d print shop

Rate this topic

dave182

Hi all.

The owner of this shop was interviewed on the radio this morning, and it might have some potential here for the various bits of cottage industry going on with the many of the members.

http://3dprintingdublin.ie/3dprinting/

There a lots of things I would like to have, but don't have the CAD (or other drawing software skills) to bring to life as an actual model. Similarly, there are many people on here (Nigel and his school buses as an example) who have the skill but will struggle with the cost.

Would it be possible for the various designers on here to make their designs available to this shop? To get a return I would suggest that a royalty is paid each time one of their items is printed.

For example, I want 2 school buses. I go to this shop and they print for me, based on Nigel's design. Let's say Nigel gets a Euro for each print. By doing it this way, we the modellers can pick from a library of stuff we want, and hopefully the fact that they are printing it here in Ireland would reduce the costs involved.

I suggest a 'royalty' based system because it rewards the time and effort that goes into producing these drawings, and would encourage more drawing to be produced. If the designer just sold his drawing, it can be used over and over again without him seeing the benefit. As this is all new technology it's a learning curve for all of us, but seems to be becoming more and more accessible every day! I might go and visit this place over the weekend to find out some more, and will report back!

As I said before I am more than happy to help people here with 3D printing or 3D modelling. I'm working on some 3D models at the moment of cement wagons and experimenting with maybe an ICR or MK4 DVT. My 3D printer is currently out of action as it needs a new print head after having an accident. I'll hopefully have it back up and running after christmas and I am more than happy to help people prototype stuff.

Do learn about the limits of 3D printing before you think it will solve all your modelling problems. I wouldn't recommend attempting to print a whole model in one pass.

Do learn about the limits of 3D printing before you think it will solve all your modelling problems. I wouldn't recommend attempting to print a whole model in one pass.

would it work better if they where printed as kits of parts that the modeller could then assemble?

I would go with printed kits rather than whole units. It depends on the technique and the shape and size of the model itself. Printed kits make more commercial sense IMO, because if a part fails printing, the other parts are still good.

You would probably have less parts than an injection molded kit though.

If it was ABS or HIPS you could use normal poly cement or acetone.

If you are using PLA printed parts you need to get tetrahydrofuran as it is the only safe solvent to use. Also be aware PLA starts to go soft at 60'C, so if you a putting a motor in it use abs or HIPS.

Strength and fragility wise I think they wouldn't be any more fragile - perhaps a bit weaker, but it depends on how you print

I've been working with 3d printed stuff for a while, some irish bits can be seen on my website, and are available via clicking through the Shapeways site:

http://www.glr3dmodeldesign.co.uk

Mostly stuff to support my GNRi interests - so the various full brakes and JT tank are available at present, K15/F16/K1/K3 in the works. As well as a bit of LBER narrow gauge.

I'm planning a website revamp over Christmas, and will have some more details available soon.

Regards

Richard.