painting

Rate this question

Seanw12

Question

im painting the the white stripe on a mk3 but when i put the masking tape down and start to paint everything looks good until i take the masking tape of and there is pits of pant after coming down over the black and up on the orange,i put the masking tape down as hard as i can put doesnt make a difference

can anyone help please?

sean

8 answers to this question

Try using the masking tape on a spare bit of plastic to do a test white line. Put the paint on, and let it dry. If it's streaking, and you've put the masking down right, you've either put too much paint on in one go, or the paint is too thin and running underneath the masking.

Better to put on three thin layers of paint, than a single heavy one. HTH. R.

I'd also spray the area white and then mask off the line and go orange over it. Always go from light to dark colours...

As Warbonnet says spray the white first but after you've masked off the line spray ANOTHER layer of white over the masking. This will seal the edges and stop the paint from bleeding underneath the tape.

Sean, an alternative method is to cut the masking tape into thin strips - same thickness as the white stripe you are trying to spray, spray them white and stick them to the coach. did that a few times on a couple of mark 3's. also did the same for the missing green stripe on the enterprise 201 - worked really well! its cheating but nobody will knowglasses smiley.gif