Grey 121 RAL codes

Rate this question

BabyGM

Question

Hi guys my scratchbuilt 121 will soon be ready for painting so can anyone point me in the right direction as to the RAL colours or if there are any readily available paints or aerosals that are right for the original grey livery

Thanks

Brian

11 answers to this question

Hi BabyGM

I looked into this one many moons ago to scratch build a fleet of 121's, though have not started on it yet!

Here are my notes on the Grey-n-Yellow livery;-

Body Colour's Grey & Yellow Option.

Tom Ferris describes it as Silver/grey -

Ideas on grey =

RAL 7035 Light grey

RAL 9006 Light silver grey (darker than 7035)

BS 00 A 01 Light grey (lighter than 7035)

Ideas on yellow =

RAL 1021

BS 10 E 51

I like this shot of the 121, because it's on a dull day with no mad sun reflection and it shows the grey/silver look- this was my choice picture so I marked RAL 9006 for the grey.

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locomotives/121%20Class/slides/126_196106086_0001_CC_JA.html

murrayec

Edited by murrayec

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were two variations of the 121s grey livery - the original grey that they were delivered in and a slightly darker shade of grey that they received when repainted in Inchicore. Perhaps JHB might be able to throw some light on this?

I haven't heard of the grey variations, but AFAIK B135 was recorded as been the only 121 locomotive to be repainted in the original grey/yellow livery, the rest, including eventually herself, received the black/tan colours once through Inchicore. Two interestingly had red buffer beams, B127 and B123 I believe, another thing to be aware of!;)

Hi

Another thing...

Tom Ferris's book 'Irish Railways A New History' has a couple of 121 pictures, you can see them at;- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Railways-A-New-History/dp/0717142914

use the 'click to look inside' and scoot past the index and the pictures start- no. 133 at Amiens st is first and no.'s 124 & 126 at Inchicore are later. The later photo is interesting, the note says the photo was taken in 1961 shortly after delivery- it's a b&w shot but I reckon there is no yellow on these two, even no yellow wasp stripes. I think this was the first grey as delivered- could this be the grey/silver, could be wrong though it's hard to tell in a b&w photo!

murrayec

Edited by murrayec

Just out of curiosity would warning panel yellow work for the RAL 1021

Hi BGM

I would have to say, because RAL 1021 ref was my own personnel choice, give it a go! If you are only running the 121 on your own layout it should be fine. If you are going to hook up with others then their may be a difference!

I would suggest;- when you decide and have the loco painted post up a photo with your colour ref's attached and then others may follow.

Hey- post up a photo now and give us a look, would love to see

murrayec

and no.'s 124 & 126 at Inchicore are later. The later photo is interesting, the note says the photo was taken in 1961 shortly after delivery- it's a b&w shot but I reckon there is no yellow on these two, even no yellow wasp stripes.murrayec

I can see the stripes on the cowcatchers on both locos in that photo. Given the yellow numbers look similar to the grey body colour (but the near, three stanchion handrail does not), I would suspect the yellow is present elsewhere too and has just blended in too well.