Modellers Bible??

Rate this question

rebelred

Question

Can anyone recommend the best book that shows you all the tricks & tips on how to make a layout, like landscaping, scenery, track bedding etc... im also looking for one on how to do weathering aswell, I should state that im a complete novice so nothing too complicated please!! :tumbsup:

11 answers to this question

In a way I'd agree Nelson. While it is nice to have a book on a shelf that one can take down and flick through without having to turn on the computer, there is now so much information about all aspects of this hobby available online that books are, I'm afraid, becoming superfluous. As Nelson says, forums such as this one provide a wealth of information and encouragement to budding modellers. Also, sites such as 'Everard Junction' with their tutorials actually show projects such as scenery construction, weathering etc being done and they explain the various pitfalls better than any book could.

You Tube is a great source of information, I also have a few books and I keep magazines as their are great tutorials in them. The best way to learn is to get stuck in, start with a small diorama and develop from there. You will quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

You Tube is a great source of information, I also have a few books and I keep magazines as their are great tutorials in them. The best way to learn is to get stuck in, start with a small diorama and develop from there. You will quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

My worry is as ye all know is that this is an expensive hobby & any mistakes can be very costly so I'd like to have all the information to hand before I'd attempt anything that can't be undone.i also have 2 toddlers running riot so it's very hard to watch & retain info on the Internet,I don't know does that make sense to anyone else but I find I can take a book anywhere & study it.it would only be a guide anyway.as to getting advise on forums, i agree lads here are fantastic & very helpful.

I would always ask their advice before I'd start anything but I need to understand & have a picture in my head first before I'd ask.

Much as I appreciate the Web [i wouldn't be typing this if I didn't], for me a hard copy is much easier to work from than a computer screen - especially in the workshop. Perhaps it's a generation thing, me being a bit older than Nelson - ok, 40+ years...

Anyway, there are plenty of incredibly useful and interesting books on the subject of scenery, weathering etc, though any of the main magazines will give you ideas every month for £4. Eg both the latest Railway Modeller and BRM contain interesting articles. Don't ignore the American scene either. Model Railroader likewise has detailed articles - almost overkill in some cases as they tell you exactly what to use, right down to the knife blade number! A snap off blade is all I've ever needed, by the way.

Magazines also contain a host of adverts for all the various products you will need. The range is now considerable in terms of weathering powders, dyes, inks, paints etc - all of which will do the job. Just depends on what you find is best. Likewise scenic materials. The Woodlands Scenic range of scatter 'foam' is easy to work with, but you need a decent range of textures and colours to be effective. However, the new static grass machines have moved the bar up considerably in terms of realism. Cheap versions are available, but again, you will need a range of fibres - colours and lengths.

My personal view is to go for the best you can afford, because of the quality of finish these materials will bring. However, not everything needs to cost a fortune. So read as much as you can - on the web, books, mags or whatever, for there is no 'one best way' and you will develop your own techniques to suit the location, period etc you are modelling. Most of all, have a go!

My personal bibles are listed below. The authors are people who are great innovators in the hobby, folk who have spent many hours practising and then sharing their ideas for our benefit. Despite [or maybe because of] their undoubted skills, they also make things seem very much achievable by mere mortals like the rest of us.

Weathering: 'The Art of Weathering' by Martyn Welch [Wild Swan], though most magazines seem to have at least one article every month.

Scenery: 'Simply Scenery' by Tony Hill [irwell Press]; 'Landscape Modelling' by Barry Norman & 'Modelling Grassland' by Gordon Gravett [both Wild Swan]. Gordon's book on trees is also both inspiring and easy to follow.

Iain Rice's books on constructing whitemetal and brass locomotive kits are essential reading if you want to go down that route... very informative, straightforward, and lighthearted. The only problem is they're out of print so you'll have to scour through Amazon, eBay, or other booksellers for secondhand copies.

RebelRed, you're not alone. I'm also about to start a layout and have the same concerns and needs as you. The hobby is not cheap. The prudent modeler, while being able to increase the complexity and improve the functional and aesthetic appearance of any layout over time, needs to start on some foundation that can be relied upon, on which to build everything else. Some experienced modelers may no longer recall what is is like to be at the very infancy of a modeling hobby and what seems intuitively basic to most may not be so to some of us.

I understand they initial comments on this thread and the fora are a great medium even at this point to help guide us on what we want to incorporate into any layout (I've had to ask several "stupid" questions on here already with great input from the members). David, while I understand there may be no bible per se for all of this, I appreciate your recommendations regarding the initial request.

I can heartily recommend "The professional approach to model railways" by John Wylie. He was a model maker for several of the Bond Movies.

I really liked his design philosophy for depth and structure. It's worth it for Chapter 1 (undersstanding contours) alone.

One very important point to remember is that, of all the aspects of the hobby, creating scenery requires the least skill - at least to start off with. Using, cork/polystyrene tiles, papier-mache etc as a base, then covering it with some sort of plaster/PVA/poster paint mix, will soon get you started. Consider doing a small diorama or practice piece first & you'll soon gain confidence to do larger areas. You won't waste much money on materials either.