Dcc rocks!

Rate this topic

richrua

DC makes the loco go back and forward. DCC makes more than one go back an forward at the same time. Can't see any reason why you'd want to do that in fairness. or install sound.

My missus keeps telling me us menfolk are not equipped with multitasking (we are DC creatures). The ladies are generally speakin the truth rich :cheers: R

DCC is brilliant. Just wanted to say that. The wife says"are you still talking about that...."

It certainly is. Especially if starting with a blank sheet, you get the chance to wire for DCC 1st time, and most locos nowadays are either DCC ready with sockets and space for decoders, or come with decoders. Converting old loco stock can be challenging, especially 0-6-0 tank engines, split chassis bachmann steam locos, and older locos with limited wheel pickups. All solvable, but needs work. Sound seems ridiculously expensive at the moment. Is this because its in its infancy? A sound decoder doesn't cost much more in core components to mass produce than non sound. Memory is cheap nowadays. I guess in time with competition sound costs will drop and probably become more the norm. For me the two 'killer' advantages of DCC are walk about or wireless cabs and sound. There is no doubt that modern diesel loco models with pick ups and drive on all wheels make the best DCC runners for slow speed that plays so well with sound. Murphy models are superb low speed runners over insulfrog points, negating the need for electro frogs and the additional wiring they require.

I've got DCC running but there is more work to do on the wiring before I can really get going on scenery, and a long road ahead to convert my old steam loco fleet.

DC makes the loco go back and forward. DCC makes more than one go back an forward at the same time. Can't see any reason why you'd want to do that in fairness. or install sound.

My missus keeps telling me us menfolk are not equipped with multitasking (we are DC creatures). The ladies are generally speakin the truth rich :cheers: R

I hate to say this, but don't knock it until you have tried it.

I have a layout that was retired in 2001 after 10 years and 25 exhibitions on the Scottish exhibition circuit, plus a visit to Warley. This large layout was DC operated for this period, and worked extremely slickly, with much switching on and off of various sections of line.

Four years ago the layout was converted for DCC operation, and the difference in operation is like chalk and cheese, with being able to carry out movements with ease, that could only have been dreamt about back then.

As for sound, well it adds a whole new dimension to operating a model railway. Unfortunately there is sound and there is good sound. A lot of sound can only be described as noise, but when you get good sound, it is brilliant.

I have never been a great fan of shunting, but I have to say, shunting with DCC, and in particular, with sound fitted locos, I now find it quite enjoyable. There is nothing quite like a loco making noises which are exactly 'in sync' with what the loco is doing. A pair of sound fitted 141/181s shunting in tandem is something else.

DC makes the loco go back and forward. DCC makes more than one go back an forward at the same time.

Now now, Glenderg. You're being a bit economical with the truth there....

With DCC you can make 2 locos go in different directions on the same length of track. Try doing that with DC. Oh, it's possible but not without a load of switches, isolating sections and complicated wiring.

To be honest I'm amazed at the reluctance of DC users to even consider DCC. I was at one exhibition a couple of years ago and I asked the operator of a particularly nice layout if it was DC or DCC. He snorted this reply; "Oh no it's DC, sure why would I want to complicate things?" Now I dread to think what the mess of wiring under the layout looked like! I then tried to explain the advantages of digital control to him, and he replied that he could do anything that DCC could do with his layout. So I used the example above of 2 engines crawling towards each other on the same length of track and he did'nt believe you could do that with DCC....

My point being that a lot of long standing DC users seem reluctant to even learn about DCC, with the result they don't know what they're missing....

No, lol. I'm not a reluctant subscriber to the concept, in fact i think it's a superb control solution - ipads, phones, automatically control etc. Bosko's Amiens St being a case in point. I would love to go dcc, but theres something niggling at me, that being that chips produced for around 10p are sold for frankly ludicrous sums of money, not to mention sound chips, speakers and all that. It's quite an investment for a novice to change control method and install all the chips. R.

I agree Glenderg. The Chips are way over priced for what are actually a very simple memory storage. They need to come right down in price. hattons in Liverpool seem to be gradually reducing their chip costs.

As for sound.... for me it is way way too dear at the mo.

Basically if I have £100+ quid to spend on this hobby, I would much rather have another 141/181 than a microchip.

That said, I am enjoying DCC. Whole new area.