Tornado and Class 55 Deltic on WCR Railtour

Rate this topic

Nice job but strange watching a steamer with a diesel on its rear mate.

I think its something to do with Hand S on the railtours in the Uk in case the preserved loco lies down. That why I love modelling the rail-tours in the UK because any thing goes including double heading with a loco slung on the rear or even triple heading. Its also not uncommon to see Mk1/Mk2/Mk3's all in the same rake and liveries covering the last 40/50 years.

Some rail tours for you

This has to be my favourite Tornado/Mallard and Prince William I'm sure Fran will be along with some more

I think its something to do with Hand S on the railtours in the Uk in case the preserved loco lies down. That why I love modelling the rail-tours in the UK because any thing goes including double heading with a loco slung on the rear or even triple heading. Its also not uncommon to see Mk1/Mk2/Mk3's all in the same rake and liveries covering the last 40/50 years.

It also is to do with shunting when you get to a terminus station as there's no longer any shunting locos based at the big stations. For example (and a shameless plug of my own videos!) here's Tangmere at Willesden Junction with a 47 on the rear on its way down to Euston.

[video=youtube;-zm15QjFCuc]

Then the 47 pulls the whole lot back out of Euston towards Wembley yard so Tangmere could be taken off the train and turned around in a loop

The 47 is also providing electrically supplied heat to the train. Steam locos do not have this facility and can only provide steam heat, which not all coaches are compatible with these days.

The amount of railtours that happen in the UK each week boggle the mind. The following weekend this WCRC rail tour with a 47 each end almost caught me unaware...

While waiting for this, Oliver Cromwell.

This was supposed to be an A4 but a fault with the loco meant the Britannia was swapped on at the last minute. Still, a decent replacement! As you can see with the steam escaping halfway through the train this was steam heated. Nice an atmospheric

Some DRS 47s double heading the Southampton-Edinburgh boat train

I caught all these over two weekends, and it would've been more only for it being December and the lack of sunlight in the evenings. Both were in the London area with Willesden Junction offering up loads of freight too while Oakleigh Park was the local station beside where I was staying. That was also just in London, with lots more going on around the country.

A tip for you too Anthony, as you can see in both my steam videos a Mark 2 ventilated coach is the first coach behind the loco. There was a ban on locomotives coupling straight up to Mark 1 stock for 'safety' reasons for a few years. However, I think this has been lifted recently. In my Tangmere video I believe it uncoupled with the green Mark 2 for the run around in the loop, the 47 then reversed onto the back and Tangmere and the Mark 2 coupled onto the end the 47 was originally on. The whole lot when back down to Euston to pick up passengers but it was dark by the time this all happened so I didn't get a video.

However, I believe that ban has recently been lifted.

Edited by Warbonnet

Some great videos there Fran I love the LMS and the Duchess of Sutherland well what can I say. I would have loved to have seen her in her original livery. I see some of the rail tour operators in the UK are now starting to convert guard standards into genny vans a bit like the old Enterprise Mk2's

Same here, the BR green isn't bad but nowhere near as nice as the maroon or even LMS lined black. I was impressed by Tangmere even though she was going slow, the deep base of the exhaust sounded awesome. Oliver Cromwell was nice too, and the 47s at full pelt were enjoyable as well.

They are indeed, but I think we'll keep seeing diesels on the back for a while yet. Was it much effort to speed step Tornado and the 47?

Was it much effort to speed step Tornado and the 47?

The 47 is fitted with a Trainsave decoder and the Bachmann Tornado is fitted with a TCS DP2X-UK (about the only decoder that would make the bloody thing run as smooth as I wanted hard to beat the super detailed Hornby steamers for smooth running RANT OVER) Fran all I had to do was adjust CV2 and CV5 on Tornado to match the 47 that was it and they both paired up nicely. We will have to organise a day soon down with Bren and I will bring down Tornado

The Duchess was out again yesterday

As was another favourite of mine, the unique Duke of Gloucester. I have a feeling that the Duke might be the subject of my first kit built steam loco someday...

And for diesel fans there was a couple of DRS 20s running on another railtour

• 1 month later...