Slieve Gullion

Rate this topic

StevieB

I was having a look at the latest edition of Steam Railway, where it said that Slieve Gullion had returned from Shildon not because it's repairs were complete but because the contractor had gone into administration! What is the world coming to?

Stephen

From the RPSI board

Multi-Tal (previously Railway Restoration North East Ltd) in Shildon, Co. Durham, has gone into administration.

The Board, being concerned about this development, urgently arranged for the repatriation of locomotive No.171 “Slieve Gullion” from Shildon. In the meantime a lorry was dispatched to collect the various parts which had been removed from the locomotive during overhaul, and these were returned to Whitehead on 25th February and unloaded with the help of the Site team.

The locomotive returned to Whitehead on Friday 13th March.

The Board regrets the lack of comment up to now, but it was owing to legal advice and a reluctance to make anything other than a factual statement until the locomotive was actually back at Whitehead. Recovery of the locomotive and all detached parts was clearly the Board’s primary concern when the contractor got into difficulties. This has now been achieved.

Obviously there is disappointment that the locomotive could not be completed by RRNEL as planned. While much was achieved, some work still remains to be completed, together with commissioning. A programme of work is being drawn up to attend to the outstanding requirements.

HEI, the Society’s engineering subsidiary, has recently completed the overhaul of the other GNR(I) 4-4-0 loco No.131 and has moved on to No.4. Consequently it will soon be in a position to take on the remaining restoration of No.171.

Those who have been generous enough to contribute to the 171 Appeal can be assured that the restoration will proceed, and that their funding has been ring-fenced for this purpose, to be applied when work on No.4 is completed. The latter is well along and will hopefully be complete by the summer.

The Society is facing having a record number of main line engines in traffic. 4, 461, 131, 171 and 85. The "Guinness" is progressing and in theory only very minimal work would have 186 in traffic too.

And what happens when their boiler tickets expire :) . No need for them all to be in service together. Dont forget the carriages too, thats where the revenue/passengers travel

I think they have more carriages than they need right now. They are still working on 2 ex IE Mk2Ds and I think they have acquired 4 Gatwick Mk2Fs, don't know where they are going to store all the stock. And weren't IE trying to push them out of Inchicore as they want to see off land or did at one stage.

I think they have more carriages than they need right now. They are still working on 2 ex IE Mk2Ds and I think they have acquired 4 Gatwick Mk2Fs, don't know where they are going to store all the stock. And weren't IE trying to push them out of Inchicore as they want to see off land or did at one stage.

IE did want the RPSI out at one point but given the interconnector will not not happen there is no rush. The eventual plan is for a separate base. As a member of the Dublin carriage crew there is plenty to do