Bagnall's Works in Stafford.

Rate this question

Broithe

Question

Did the Bagnall's works in Stafford ever build any stuff for the Irish market?

The works has just been demolished for the inevitable housing project and, during a discussion about it, I was informed that railcars for Ireland were built there - is this true?

11 answers to this question

The only locos specifically built for an Irish railway company that I can think of were the four 0-6-0Ts supplied to the West Clare in the 1880, which were too light & underpowered for the line.

Much later one of the LMS Jinties 7456 supplied to the NCC was a Bagnall

Bagnall's didn't make very much for the Irish market, a lot of their locos went to customers like the LMS, GWR, War Dept., domestic industrial users and the colonies, South Africa, India etc.

I suspect there may have been a small number of industrial/contractors locos that may have worked here in addition to Mayner's list, the WCR's Bagnalls being the most (in)famous.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Indeed, that's what I thought, but I was told, as "fact", that at least two railcars were built there, and no amount of doubt from me could shake the strength of this statement..

I suggested that there could, perhaps, have been some of their stuff on BnM tracks, but the railcar statement was upheld strongly.

Anyway, the factory is flattened and gone now, even though it hadn't had any railway use for some decades.

No mention about the alleged railcars being diesel, petrol or steam 'railmotors'?
The GNR railmotors? I believe they were built by the north British locomotive company. As you said Bagnall built the WCR tanks which ate coal and unsurprisingly were bad steamers. So after that I think Bagnall didn't get many Irish orders after that

The GNR railmotors? I believe they were built by the north British locomotive company. As you said Bagnall built the WCR tanks which ate coal and unsurprisingly were bad steamers. So after that I think Bagnall didn't get many Irish orders after that

I don't know about coal consumption, but the WCR definitely overloaded and thrashed them and in common with a lot of impoverished Irish ng lines, maintenance wouldn't be up to scratch.

The West Clare does not seem to have been completely put off by the 0-6-0Ts and went back to Bagnall in 1907-8 for No11 Kilkee a 4-6-0T.

After a series of 0-6-2T & 2-6-2T locos the West Clare settled on the 4-6-0T arrangement in the early 1900s.

Although built by Hunslet No 1 Kilrush was supposed to be very close to No 11 including the unusual Bagnall-Price valve gear http://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NARROW-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVES/17846666_q858X4#!i=1512097327&k=kDQf3RZ&lb=1&s=A.