We Need More Talent

Rate this topic

Hi guys just a quick question at the minute on the site we have a good few talented modellers. (as listed below)

John Mayner and Islandbridgejct 21mm track building

Boskonay layout building

Retro Herbie scenery

Glenderg Buildings

Hiddenagenda kit building

My self Weathering

Dave baseboards

Fran US outline

David Kavanagh Model building

Now this isn't a who's who of modelling but what I want to know is there anyone on this board that could do a tutorial on making proper oo scale trees or anything else that you can think of that is not been covered by the guys above. (DCC for example)

Before you all start to say that you can go to You Tube or buy video's on the subject or certain companies make this and that, I already know this.

I would like to see some more input into what other talents we have out there. So if you are sitting on the side lines and don't post on the site please give it a go don't be afraid to share your talents with the rest of us so that we can all learn from one another. We want to make this site a wealth of information. :-bd

Edited by Anthony

When I first saw this topic posted earlier today I thought Anto had been converted to the beautiful game, and we were going to get the Irish football team sorted. We need to get someone with excellent soldering skills added to the list. My own are very rusty and a bit ropey at the moment, I spent to much time using solder paint on rolling stock kits, that I need to get back into the swing of using the old solid solder and flux again.

Rich,

Ok guys back on topic now and lets move on

As Rich says we need someone who can advice on soldering

Someone who is well up on DCC and can help with related questions

Anyone else any ideas on what we need

I forgot to say that you don't have to model Irish Railways to join the board to help with the above subjects or any other subjects if you are into UK, European, or US outline etc etc all are welcome no matter where you are from out there in internet land.

May I suggest a few topics that need fleshing out in the hope it kick starts a few threads here and there?

- Use of poster paints and backdrops, do's and dont's, making your own, curved backscenes versus flat etc. There must be someone here with an interest in landscape painting/photography who could add some thought?

- Lighting - There must be a sparks or a leccy engineer here who understands lux, luminaires, and can give tips on places to source affordable lighting to suit model railways etc.

- Scenery - tips on cheap and easy ways of customising lichen etc. to make bushes, sharp sand to make ballast etc. Again, Do's and Dont's rule the day.

- Layout operation in general - we all desire to have something operational, DCC or Hand of God. What do you do with it when it's "finished" [lol] the best way to maximise your enjoyment.

- Signals - Could somebody explain them, in a completely "idiots guide to signalling"?

- Layout planning - Facing crossovers and catch points - the terminology of the real thing still baffles me. Can we have a proper stickied thread so we can learn? And the things not to do?

- Papier Machier - Learned it 25 years ago, since forgotten. Can you still buy chicken wire, and where? General large landscaping too. Make and do type - Mary Fitzgerald please? Toilet Roll inserts at the ready....!

- Running Line Underlay - Necessary? Tedious? Cheap Alternatives? Discuss.

- Ballast - Cheap alternatives, weathering it, glueing the stuff down.

- Painting - people and small incidental objects that bring layouts to life, tips in general that may help the beginner

- LED's - polarity, sourcing, dimming, colours, wiring, and general layout lighting that's not for rolling stock.

- Free stuff - The internet is littered with it. If you've a source of stuff - buildings, signs, photos etc. post it up!

- Scratchbuilding thread - How to source excellent materials for sod all [happy to take this one up]

- Model Photography - How to get the best from the iPhone to the Canon EOS

- So Called Professional Materials - crappy do-all glues, fillers, dodgy spray paints, what to AVOID, rather than anything else.

- Experts on handling the perennial Mother In Law problem, perhaps with a penchant for leather gloves, bald head, 20/20 vision, and twin glocks. To be stickied beside the "Weedspray" thread=))

Richie

- Papier Machier - Learned it 25 years ago, since forgotten. Can you still buy chicken wire, and where? General large landscaping too. Make and do type - Mary Fitzgerald please? Toilet Roll inserts at the ready....!

Richie

Mary Fitz? Late of the 9:30-10:30 slot on Anything Goes? The original and best "Scrummy Mummy". Now we know your demographic slot Richie!

That's the one Des. Now get an adult to help you with them scissors!:banana:

edit - Child of the late 70's, still got the photos of homemade bowl cut hairdo's to prove it.

and your talking of letting them loose with soldering irons & lectricity:rolleyes:

That's the one Des. Now get an adult to help you with them scissors!:banana:

edit - Child of the late 70's, still got the photos of homemade bowl cut hairdo's to prove it.

Bowlcut hairdo, flares, polo neck jumpers. And a Morris Marina that you hoped would start to get you to school. Unless you were fierce posh and your dad had a MK2 Granada. Were you up in time to watch Jabberjaws and Scooby Doo though....

I forgot about Aenghus' shoes. Remember him gushing about the custom mother-of-pearl inlay work on his guitar with Brush Shiels though (when he had hair).

Bowlcut hairdo, flares, polo neck jumpers. And a Morris Marina that you hoped would start to get you to school. Unless you were fierce posh and your dad had a MK2 Granada. Were you up in time to watch Jabberjaws and Scooby Doo though....

I forgot about Aenghus' shoes. Remember him gushing about the custom mother-of-pearl inlay work on his guitar with Brush Shiels though (when he had hair).

Ok lads lets please stay on topic. Thank You