Narrow gauge beauty's

Rate this topic

GSR 800

Ye Gods, a Swilly 4-8-0. Scale, gauge, origins?

A real beauty, whatever its origins. Like JB, am hoping there is dark green under the weathering. For me, the Swilly's locos represent the best of Irish narrow gauge. Would love to recreate Casserly's photos of Burtonport - if only I had the space...

Ye Gods, a Swilly 4-8-0. Scale, gauge, origins?

A real beauty, whatever its origins. Like JB, am hoping there is dark green under the weathering. For me, the Swilly's locos represent the best of Irish narrow gauge. Would love to recreate Casserly's photos of Burtonport - if only I had the space...

Backwoods minatures kit David, and built to an excellent standard too..

Seems to be a bit of green there on the tender

image.jpeg

Wondered if it was a Backwoods - 4mm scale, am guessing? Have heard that they are not for the faint hearted, as can be a challenge, but in the right hands [like this model] certainly make up into something splendid.

None of the Backwoods kits are for the faint-hearted, but there is a question mark (allegedly) over whether they are still available.

Chester MRC Dingle layout. I also have a small C&L layout.

DSCF6930.JPG

DSCF6921.JPG

I am not sure if the business is still in operation, the last time I was in contact with the owner Pete McParin he commented that the information on the web site was out of date and no longer prepared to supply the Irish kits.

The kits were relatively straightforward to assemble, though it could be a bit tricky fitting a motor under the bonnet of a Donegal railcar ;)

DSCF1975.JPG

....last time I was in contact with the owner Pete McParin he commented that the information on the web site was out of date and no longer prepared to supply the Irish kits.....

That's a real shame.

Just as well I secured one kit to build "Drumboe" long ago. If there aren't to be any more of these kits I might as well scan the etches and do my own if I can get my head around how AutoCAD works.

I wonder what he meant by "not prepared to supply"..... Not commercially viable, or run out of stock?

I do know, as many of us here will, that those brave enough to produce an Irish model, either in kit or RTR form, aren't doing it to retire in riches! (So, as a separate issue, hats off to them....)

Other than Worsley Works, there is virtually nothing available in the kit world for the CDRJC now.

Previously, you could buy kits from Backwoods and Parkside Dundas (ex-Ninelines) and get something running.

The peak of Irish NG kit availability (in 4mm NG terms, anyway) seems to have been early 2000s. If you missed the boat, then you really missed it.

Edited by Horsetan