Wanted: Old IRRS Journals

Rate this topic

DiveController

Early journals are now quite rare and command a high price I am afraid.

I know from experience that the IRRS have back issues mostly from late 1960s to recent copies. There was a reprint in the 1950s of the first 10 editions produced.

So you know which ones your looking for ?

Bott's usually stock old journals:

http://clweb02.chrislands.com/clshops/StoreNumber_4849/?CLSN_4849=147216425848498a29312dcf0085e0d4&keyword=Railway+record+society&searchby=title&page=shop%252Fbrowse&fsb=1&Search=Search

They currently have the 1960s reprints of the first five editions as a bundle, but it'll set you back £50. As Waffles said, they command a high price now...

I was in Georges Market thing not so long ago and picked up 2 from one of the oddball bookstands. 1964, I think, Guinness loco workings, and the introduction of the new fangled 141 class. Fiver a piece. I've seen them upstairs in Chapter's book shop on Parnell Street for a tenner a go, and they don't move too fast, so you should email them asking.

So you know which ones your looking for ?

In truth, I don't really know. I was interested in early 1950s CIE rolling stock, and was just interested in perusing some from this period and maybe early 1960s just to get a flavor for that late steam/early diesel era which seemed to be one of pretty significant change (for better or worse) for Irish railways. I assumed they might be lying around unused by those lucky enough to have graced/griced the permanent ways back then.

I was in Georges Market thing not so long ago and picked up 2 from one of the oddball bookstands. 1964, I think, Guinness loco workings, and the introduction of the new fangled 141 class. Fiver a piece. I've seen them upstairs in Chapter's book shop on Parnell Street for a tenner a go, and they don't move too fast, so you should email them asking.

Thanks, Richie. I'll google them and shoot them an email

I would suggest you're probably better off starting with the free to look at Irish Railfans' News, helpfully reproduced by RPSI at:

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/IRFN/

It's mostly text but there's lots of information and it's much more accessible than trying to find IRRS Journals, good though these are.

that's great that they are digitized. thanks for that:tumbsup:

Folks

With another of my hats on, I raise funds for the RPSI through an operation called The Syndicate. Amongst our stock are many IRRS Journals and our price is more like Richie's fiver a magazine and certainly not ten plus!

e-mail me on

lesliemcallister@aol.com

stating your wants and we'll try and sort them out for you and profit the RPSI at the same time.

BSGVS is right about the usefulness of IRN (I have a bound set), but I refer to The JOURNAL mostly as I have an electronic index to it! So it's easier to do research in it.

Leslie