Irish Rail intercity lookalikes

Rate this topic

Noel

At least 222 now has something better to haul other than orange Mk2d stock. Picked these up from Chris Dyer, they are Hornby mk3 resprays. Ok they are not exactly like the CAF mk4 coaches used by IR but they more than pass the duck test for me for now, at least until IRM Produce a proper set. Nice resprays though and I was particularly impressed with the thin black lining. The coach ends lack the flat profile of the CAFs  

IMG_9766.jpg

Ps. Yes I know such modern image coaches seem an abomination side by side with my CIE golden era B&T stock but I have a soft spot for them due to my regulare use of the Cork train, especially because it is not a noisy ICR yo-yo roller skate. 

Edited by Noel
Lexdysia
  • Like 5

Ps. Yes I know such modern image coaches seem an abomination side by side with my CIE golden era B&T stock but I have a soft spot for them due to my regulare use of the Cork train, especially because it is not a noisy ICR yo-yo roller skate. 

Not at all, Noel - to quote Lord White: "It's my railway and I'll run what I want on it!"

A few years ago, one of the magazines highlighted a layout where the guy had two sets of stock for two different decades - twenty / thirty years apart. I thought it a brilliant idea - all you need is loads of shelves, as one Irish gent has in his railway room.

No room for them in my loft, so the "Modern" (meaning after 1965, but not after 1980 -ish) stuff goes in Really Useful Boxes with foam inserts which take and protect coaches, locos and wagons.

PS The "CAFs" look well and are a credit to Chris / David.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Not at all, Noel - to quote Lord White: "It's my railway and I'll run what I want on it!"

A few years ago, one of the magazines highlighted a layout where the guy had two sets of stock for two different decades - twenty / thirty years apart. I thought it a brilliant idea - all you need is loads of shelves, as one Irish gent has in his railway room.

No room for them in my loft, so the "Modern" (meaning after 1965, but not after 1980 -ish) stuff goes in Really Useful Boxes with foam inserts which take and protect coaches, locos and wagons.

Cheers Leslie, thanks, I might try a consist of B&T B121 and B141 hauling these for fun just to cause brain freeze amongst friend visitors to running sessions. Not sure who did the super resprays for Chris but it must have been somebody like Anthony or David because its a really class precise job. The donors were Hornby coaches.

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Mk 4's methinks man?

The boxes said hornby Mk3's :confused: but I'm not sure which TBH.

Edited by Noel

Some closer photos albeit in poor lightning. These are in fact Hornby Mk4 resprays. Done by one of the top masters formerly of this parish methinks.

IMG_9772.jpg

IMG_9771.jpg

With AS's announcement big over on RMWeb today about their BR Mk5 sets there may be hope an Irish Mk4 set complete with DVT could one day be a possibility to pair up with the green MM 201s. :) 

By way of comparison

400px-MkIV,_Inchicore.JPG

Edited by Noel

Now I have to source a suitable donor BR DVT for the razor saw and some soft balsa fairing to convert it to look remotely like the the duck bill faced IR 4xxx mk4 CAF DVT to go with these. :) Will the duck faced DVT survive the 'duck test'? :)

Photo: 

8635899490_119e88cf2a_b.jpg

Photo linked from: Fred Dean Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/8635899490

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 8:21 PM, leslie10646 said:

They were resprayed by Tony Mirolo. :tumbsup: . . . and super job they are too.  I may attempt a few myself some day in the future, but delighted with these for now.