Help identifying location

Rate this question

hexagon789

Question

8 answers to this question

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:15 AM, Rob said:

Destination would be towards Heuston given the 'Standard' coach behind the loco- the formation for any Mark 3 set towards Heuston.

Thanks, I hadn't realised the Mk3 sets were orientated with First Class away from Dublin. I assumed it would be at the Dublin-end as with the Mk4 sets.

The train in question was a special being used by IÉ to take publicity photographs. The train consisted of two standards, a restaurant car and an EGV. For this photograph, the train proceeded very slowly across the viaduct, allowing a number of photos to be taken. This is the same train on its way from Cork to Mallow the previous day:

IÉ Photo Special.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, hexagon789 said:

Thanks, I hadn't realised the Mk3 sets were orientated with First Class away from Dublin. I assumed it would be at the Dublin-end as with the Mk4 sets.

In the days of the Mk3s, it was my general habit to be in the furthest standard coach when boarding at Heuston.

That put you next to the steps up to the bridge when getting off at Ballybrophy - a useful tactic, if it was raining on arrival.

Also, any larger items that I had stowed in the EGV would not be too far away upon alighting.

13 minutes ago, Broithe said:

In the days of the Mk3s, it was my general habit to be in the furthest standard coach when boarding at Heuston.

That put you next to the steps up to the bridge when getting off at Ballybrophy - a useful tactic, if it was raining on arrival.

Also, any larger items that I had stowed in the EGV would not be too far away upon alighting.

It also put you in the carriage next to the catering car - handy for the cuppa tae and the IE sambo!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 6:45 PM, josefstadt said:

The train in question was a special being used by IÉ to take publicity photographs. The train consisted of two standards, a restaurant car and an EGV. For this photograph, the train proceeded very slowly across the viaduct, allowing a number of photos to be taken. This is the same train on its way from Cork to Mallow the previous day:

IÉ Photo Special.jpg

Thank you for the details of the working.

On 4/27/2019 at 6:51 PM, Broithe said:

I do similar today, sit/stand in a particular carriage so that on arrival I step out perfectly in line with the exit. Works well when my local is formed of a 4-car, the stopping marker is just past the exit point so the passenger door lines up beautifully!

When it's a two-car you'll see me scowl:

1 - because if it's busy it can be a squeeze sometimes.

2 - But mostly because I have to walk further now! 😉

• Funny 1