SSM GNR(I) "S"-class 4-4-0

Rate this topic

Horsetan

Horsetan,

As far as I am led to believe the RPSI have very few (if any) S class drawings and only one Q class drawing would you believe - which will make rebuilding 131 even more fun! esp when trying to replicate parts lost over the years. Incidentally, I am a semi- regular volunteer at whitehead and could take a few photos when I am down next week if you want to post a list?.

• Like 1

...As far as I am led to believe the RPSI have very few (if any) S class drawings and only one Q class drawing would you believe - which will make rebuilding 131 even more fun! esp when trying to replicate parts lost over the years. [/Quote]

The RPSI could at least have said words to the effect of "No, we can't help, sorry". It's only a few seconds....

Incidentally, I am a semi- regular volunteer at whitehead and could take a few photos when I am down next week if you want to post a list?.

Yes please! Basically everything between 171's frames: driving cranks, eccentrics, all motion parts, cylinders, piston glands, etc. Hope I'm not asking too much!

If you are going to that degree of accuracy, it would probably be a good idea to visit Whitehead and measure up 171s motion the class was "renewed" in the 1930s and the motion may not be the original.

An IRRS London Area member Richard McLachlan richardvmcl@aol.com is working on indexing and digitising a large proportion of GNR loco drawings which turned up in a clear out at Inchacore Works in 2011 after being "lost" when Dundalk Works closed after the break up of the GNR.

The drawings appear to include component drawings with enough information to build a new full sized locomotive!

I'm aware of the late 1930s rebuild, though the frames were pretty much the main visible change.

I think the late Tony Miles scratchbuilt his "S" class, and that had working inside motion. Question is, whose drawings did he use?

Thanks also for the e-mail address of Mr. McLachlan; I'll get in touch to see if he has managed to unearth any drawings relating to the 1938/39 rebuilding process.

Edited by Horsetan

....IRRS London Area member Richard McLachlan richardvmcl@aol.com is working on indexing and digitising a large proportion of GNR loco drawings which turned up in a clear out at Inchacore Works in 2011 after being "lost" when Dundalk Works closed after the break up of the GNR.

The drawings appear to include component drawings with enough information to build a new full sized locomotive!

I've sent him an e-mail now....

I seem to recall when I was in inchicore, when the drawings were found 2 very large crates stuffed with drawings as well as the Beyer Peacock drawing cylinders for a few locos but I cant remember what they were now.

Horsetan - Will hopefully get photos on sat - A thought - Would any photos of 131 motion be of use as it is very similar and has the benefit of being on the floor in pieces eg close ups of the crossheads , eccentric rods etc

....Horsetan - Will hopefully get photos on sat - A thought - Would any photos of 131 motion be of use as it is very similar and has the benefit of being on the floor in pieces eg close ups of the crossheads , eccentric rods etc

Yes please! In for a penny, in for a Euro!

Lough Erne, could you possibly get some photos of the 131 in general?

Side elevation, front elevation, close up side elevation of the buffers, and anything at all of the tender?

I'm only sorry I didn't snap the living bejayzus out of it when I had the chance back in '84-'86....

Lough Erne, could you possibly get some photos of the 131 in general?

Side elevation, front elevation, close up side elevation of the buffers, and anything at all of the tender?

I'm only sorry I didn't snap the living bejayzus out of it when I had the chance back in '84-'86....

Is that the sign of another.....kit? :banana:

Weshty,

The tender in theory paired with 131 currently consists of the chassis as the body was completely rotten and broken up in inchicore around 2001 or so. The tender is a more modern tender (not an original Q tender) with roller bearings and was similiar (if not identical) to the old tender at mullingar. The current thinking is to build a Q class shaped tender i.e. straight sides with flared rails on top of the chassis in due course - donations and funding depending.

Weshty,

The tender in theory paired with 131 currently consists of the chassis as the body was completely rotten and broken up in inchicore around 2001 or so. The tender is a more modern tender (not an original Q tender) with roller bearings and was similiar (if not identical) to the old tender at mullingar. The current thinking is to build a Q class shaped tender i.e. straight sides with flared rails on top of the chassis in due course - donations and funding depending.

Lough Erne, thanks for that info. I'm not massively surprised by that news as I remember inspecting the inside of the tender back in '84 and it was just a box of flaking rust.

Did they hold onto the tender wheels when they broke her up or did they throw them out too?

In theory an album should have appeared of 171

Found 'em! Excellent run of photos. Think that pretty much confirms I can adapt one of Martin Finney's inside motion kits - the cranks and eccentrics appear similar in shape to those in the GW Pannier, and I could use some other bits from the LSWR T9.

Edited by Horsetan

If you want any more photos feel free to ask and I will see what I can do

That last / first photo (photo 16), in which you showed a broadside shot of the "Piston Valves and piston rod detail and gland assembly" - is it possible to get the camera in a bit closer to see how the PVs are actuated? I've enlarged the photo and highlighted the area in light blue to show you what I'm after..... :-bd

SDC10677_big_clarify.JPG