Bogie Luggage Vans

Rate this topic

DiveController

3 hours ago, DiveController said:

I was looking at that shot earlier, Balsa I think

Pretty close to the mark, interesting to see traditional timber frame coaches being assembled long after other railway had changed to all metal construction. http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000304519

Plasticard is an excellent medium for scratchbuilding carriages that would be uneconomic to produce in kit or rtr form.

David Jenkinson built over 200 plasticard coaches from 4 to 10mm scale and some pretty impressive layouts. Jenkinson found that he could scratchbuild a coach from plasticard quicker than he could assemble a kit.

Carriage Modelling made easy is a good introduction to his methods and includes some impressive model coaches. https://www.amazon.com/Carriage-Modelling-Made-David-Jenkinson/dp/1874103321

• Informative 1

. . . And kit bashing existing RTR coaches into anything you want is always an option. Just plastic,filler and glue needed. e.g: Bachmann LMS Bogie Parcel van makes a reasonable donor for conversion to CIE Brake parcel van

Edited by Noel

On 2/15/2020 at 12:15 AM, Mayner said:

Official records are not always 100% accurate and without a surviving van its impossible to check if the physical dimensions.

Differences often exist between the original concept design and the end result in engineering projects.

I have an "official" drawings of the AEC railcars and a "Beet Double" which are substantially different to ther actual as-built vehicles.

I am inclined to believe that CIE used the original 1935 body design with vertical sides above waist level on a triangulated underframe for the 1959 vans.

The duckets and outward sliding doors are the giveaway that the vans were built to a narrower width, van doors were recessed into the body and guards lookout duckets were not fitted to wider coaches with a teardrop end profile like the Laminate Coaches and heating vans as they would have fouled the loading gauge.

I would agree. The contemporary IRRS and IRN journals, and Kennedy's paper to the IRRS in 1965, all say 61' 6" long. The triangulated underframe was produced by John Thompson Pressings of Wolverhampton, and it seems unlikely a special batch of ten made 60' long would have been produced, just for these vans.

As to the width, the TPO's were 9', so 10' wide for the luggage vans seems odd. http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000305576 doesn't seem to show much width difference.

Doyle & Hirsch (which presumably quotes official records), also says that 2548 was 10' wide, which also seems strange given the other carriages of 1935 were all 9'.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1