Mystery item

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

WOW!! Just enlarged it. It’s off the anemometer gubbins from Quilty on the West Clare! It must be the thing they recorded wind speed with to determine whether to cancel trains or not! You can make out “West Clare Railway” and “anemometer” on the dymo label.  

Do you know, I stared at that thing yesterday and this morning, wondering what it was, and I didn’t even NOTICE the dymo label!!

I was a bit more interested in a T & D locomotive bell beside it (just out of the picture....)!

Gawd bless your eyesight.... 

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, PorkyP said:

Always try the door first before kicking it in, so to speak!!!!....glad you've demystified it anyway, interesting bit of kit. !

Very true indeed!

Question now is, where in the museum to display the thing!

The room it’s in contains much that’s nothing to do with Fry, his railway or the old “castle” railway. There are old bedsteads out of the castle, for example, a few bits of furniture, several old sinks and all sorts of stuff. So the that that it was NEAR some “Fry” stuff didn’t necessarily mean that it had anything to do with it.

So there ye go. Tis on the list. Must poke about in the IRRS to see what I can find out about it.

• Like 1

I have checked with the IRRS and they have a pic of both the instrument and the hut. I haven’t seen them yet as I need to establish first if the museum is prepared to try to find a space to display them. If they do (and space for this will be tight as quite a few other items need to have space found for them), then I would envisage getting these photos blown up and displayed.

The hut above had something to do with it but I don’t know what. It’s possible that the mast was there with more delicate recording instruments in the station.