Starlink Train Tonight 2157PM

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Yep! A Train but not as you know it and it is not stopping at a Station near you though, they are up in Space.

2157PM West to East. 43 unit train - apparently

https://findstarlink.com/#742;3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/04/20/how-to-see-a-starlink-train-from-your-home-this-week-as-spacex-satellites-swarm-the-night-sky/#7fe2f33c26e8

Looks Like this:

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 2
  • WOW! 2

10 minutes ago, murrayec said:

@Georgeconna

I was out telescoping last night and watched this going by, I counted about 25 of them but then I gave up as they were travelling through right where I was trying to photograph M87 the Virgo Cluster......

Eoin

Wikipedia says -  On Starlink 2, one of the satellites has an experimental coating to make it less reflective, and thus impact ground-based astronomical observations less.

What's it going to be like when they have the full system up and running, there wont be a free patch of sky left to observe or photograph without streaks flying through! More light pollution or maybe sky pollution....

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, murrayec said:

@RobertRoche Looks like it's going to be a clear night again! I saw them travelling from West to North/East through Leo at about 11.00 onwards last night, they are scheduled to go by tonight but not sure if it will be the same path!

Eoin

Mention of 'Leo' might lead you to fall foul of the "No Politics" rule.....  :cops:

• Funny 1

Just now, RobertRoche said:

Saw 4/5 satellites, a meteor and a 747 just now 😅 I had apparently seen 1 off satellites before, but the location, trajectory and distance between 2 or more made it seem like a single satellite. They are quite faint also.

Same here. Thanks for starting this topic

6 hours ago, murrayec said:

@Georgeconna

I was out telescoping last night and watched this going by, I counted about 25 of them but then I gave up as they were travelling through where I was trying to photograph M87 the Virgo Cluster......

Eoin

Sound cool, they are going to be a right Sod for Photograpers.

I got 17 down here,  Pretty well space out and not like the Video, plus 4 shooting Stars,  The 2nd pass was not visible, tomorrow night again

Times for Tomorrow are here.

https://www.heavens-above.com/StarlinkLaunchPasses.aspx?lat=52.1428&lng=-7.9717&loc=Unnamed&alt=0&tz=GMT

Edited by Georgeconna

Not as good as last night's train! it was pretty random and in all directions. I did see a couple of meteors and a 747 thingie....

Here's a few non-guided 20sec wide field photos;-

505498234_Sat-01IMG_4988.thumb.jpg.66b707851dddc1fd0e7e0175ea67647c.jpg

1485491797_Sat-02IMG_4989.thumb.jpg.c37c0979035165f8074926b41e0496af.jpg

1788021739_Sat-03IMG_5000.thumb.jpg.899584eb19bb47a8c59bc668467da21a.jpg

That glow in the first two are those unshaded bloody sodium lights on the N11

Eoin

• Like 2
  • WOW! 3