Buffalo & Pittsburgh Train Derailment

Rate this topic

RobertRoche

Amazing footage. I was sure one of the lifting rigs was going to topple on top of the guy directing operations. What weight is in one of those locos - 200+ tons? Also amazed that the road under the bridge was still open to traffic given the combustible cargo on the train. Only in America do they just get stuck in and get on with it.

Funnily enough I dream't last night that I was cleaning up after a freight train derailment on an N-Gauge layout and had diverted through traffic via Conrail to keep things moving while we cleared the line. 

Many of the cars shed their trucks and piled up in prototypical fashion, we seemed to get by without heavy plant, oddly the frames of the two lead locos split with Mazac Rot. 

I better check my collection of N Gauge locos just in case!.

Interestingly there is a Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) guy in the You Tube video keeping an eye on things.

The Pipelaying crawlers are pretty rare in the UK and Ireland, would have been a safer and simpler option than cranes for positioning the locos for re-railing. They have massive lift capacity and are a lot more stable than either a crawler or mobile crane, which have a tendency of tipping over if set up on unstable ground.

Edited by Mayner

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, DERAILED said:

Amazing footage. I was sure one of the lifting rigs was going to topple on top of the guy directing operations. What weight is in one of those locos - 200+ tons? Also amazed that the road under the bridge was still open to traffic given the combustible cargo on the train. Only in America do they just get stuck in and get on with it.

The EMD SD60M weights 167 metric tonnes