Ballast

Rate this question

BosKonay

Question

Having a little bit of track to ballast, I've been experimenting with a few options, and would be grateful for the insight of fellow members!

Initially, I did a siding with Gaugemaster http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM114&style=&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster%20GM114

It went down well, looks like irish ballast (being multi coloured natural granite) and took the glue from the dropper without movement, bubbling, etc.

Next, I tried Woodlands Scenic's Grey Blend.

This went down ok, but didn't cover as well as the Gaugemaster, and trying to dropper glue resulted in bubbles and the gluw rolling off the ballast. I next tried to spray the ballast with 'wet' water, which resulted in clumping and the whole thing looking like muck a little :( I droppered the glue in anyway, and will photo both sidings once everything is dry in 24 hours.

Just wondering what other's ballast experience has been - from my tests, I think I'll be going with the gaugemaster for the rest...

19 answers to this question

Stephen when you are ballasting forget about washing up liquid you need to get yourself some isopropanol alcohol. You dilute it half in half with water and spray it on your ballast.

Then add your diluted PVA glue to the ballast. Sit back and watch you will be amazed at how the ballast sucks up the glue no more clumping or bubbles. Its how I do my ballasting and I get great results. Here's a link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISOPROPANOL-IPA-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-9-Pure-1-Litre-/390283951465?pt=UK_Computing_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item5adebc7d69#ht_2832wt_1037

Its a great way to do your ballasting guys and less hassle that mucking around with washing up liquid I read some where that surgical spirits diluted with water will do the same job but I have never used surgical spirits but if some of you want to try it and let us know how you get on, it easier to get than the isopropanol alcohol as you can pick a bottle up of the shelf in your local chemist shop for 2-3 quid and don't have to order on line. As always make sure you have a window open when using any of the above I don't want any of you getting high. =))

Thanks Guys for posting this. I’m ballasting at the moment using the “Everard Junction” method. After the first run had dried I used the vacuum cleaner with a nylon sock in the hosepipe to pick up the loose ballast. (My theory being if the vacuum cleaner does not lift it, it’s there to stay. I must have recovered nearly a third of the ballast I laid leaving many gaps. The black Woodland Trackbed shows through any area not covered. I used the recovered ballast to cover the Trackbed edges which is about 4mm high.

Further ballast has just arrived in the post today so this new method using alcohol with water is very opportune. I shall give it a try and see is it as good as the video. The Guy in the video says to use a couple of cap full’s of alcohol to the water so I suppose the ratio does not have to be very exact.