Model Railway Journal 279

Rate this topic

David Holman

This edition edited by Jerry Clifford, so no surprise that there is a 2mm scale bias. All very interesting of course, but highlight has to be an article by Mick Rawlings (of Ballyconnell Road). Titled Kitchen Table Modelling, he takes us through how he built his 3mmFS U class 4-4-0, complete with working inside valve gear.

Had the great pleasure of operating BR last year with Mick and while he insists his locos are essentially quite simple, like all such things, they are actually on a higher plane, both in looks and operation.

MRJ rarely ventures outside Great Britain, so good to see Mick's work included. And quite right too.

• Like 6

I saw Ballyconnell Road at Blackrock last year. It was one of the most utterly photo-realistic layouts I have ever seen, if not THE most, down to the last detail of scenery, or a rusty hinge on a wagon. This is very, very high quality three-dimensional art, as much as it is very high-end precision engineering, as much as it is a highly historically accurate layout. Absolutely superb stuff. 

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, StevieB said:

I’m not quite sure where you mean to see Mick Rawlings handiwork. I saw Ballyconnell Road at Railwells the other year. To be honest, nothing else came close to it for me.

Stephen

Sorry to cause confusion - Mick does most of the rolling stock modelling for Ballyconnell Road and the easiest place to see his handiwork was the Thread I suggested.

As you say, a remarkable piece of work.

Edited by leslie10646

My nurse got me a copy yesterday and while David is right about the 2mm bias -

it is in the form of a huge, well-illustrated, article on Copenhagen Fields, simply the most brilliant 2mm layout around.

The Fields are the approaches to Kings Cross in LNER era, but GNR stuff as well, all modelled to a very high standard.

However, it's not the stock, or hundred wagon goods trains which blow you away, it's the representation of the whole area, down to the last street, pub etc.

You'll never see it in Ireland so if you like the LNER / English GNR it might be worth grabbing a copy of MRJ to see what you're missing - even saves an airfare!

• Like 3