More Dunsandle questions we even have a map now

Rate this question

Buz

Question

Hi all

Here is a map the current station owners sister sent me as a result of inquires made by me.

1126252573_DunsandleStation(2)Map.thumb.jpg.a06b1757491b42490ed10d42147908ff.jpg

My questions are

Where did the ballast sidings go they came off the top points and cross a road somewhere.

The gravel pit shown on the map is not where I expected it to be or as far away as I expected it to be, was there another one somewhere else if so where??

As you can see for a first Irish layout I am definitely working on the KISS principle and hoping an 8',  9' or 10' board is going to be long enough for the station once I have worked out whats where given the platform is 3' at full scale length.

Any one know anything about the well, tank and signal box shown on the map?? apart from the signal box got demolished.

regards John

Edited by Buz

8 answers to this question

There is another larger old gravel pit in the top right hand corner on this map. The gravel pit sidings don't appear on any of the maps that are on-line.

dunsandle.JPG.2a8a5b25a218610a1b14dca49ed6119b.JPG

I have one view on flickr of the station in 1976

Dunsandle Jun76 img177

The old gravel pit next to the line  is that depression over the wall to the right of the train.

The siding to the ballast pit was opened in 1896 but was closed  before the start of WW1 as the M&GWR was using stone rather than fine ballast/sand from its much larger Lecarrow operation. The lease was terminated in 1925. The signal box was closed 1925 or 1931 and dismantled (2 conflicting dates in "Baronial Lines of the MGWR")  and the frame transfered nearer the crossing gates to simplify working.

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

Hi Irishswissernie

That possibly is it but from the scraps I have at the moment, I only have reference to it crossing a field with the Kiltulla-Bullan road.

which is?? none of the roads appear to be marked so I have no idea which one it is.

But I assume from the map Its going to have to cross a road or roads at some point to get to that pit.

The track and signal diagram does show it curving away in that general direction but just says ballast hill at the end of spur where it branches into three sidings but no indication of distance and being a railway diagram it only shows what the railway are interested in.

I take it the buildings near the pit are farms, or are they something more like the crofts found in Scotland

regards John

Edited by Buz

The Kiltulla-Bullan Road is the one going across the railway level crossing heading for the middle of the bottom  of the map. The buildings would mainly be small farms.

The new M6 road is probably built on top of part of the ballast siding where it curved away from the station to cross the road just after the one heading to the top right of the map.

If you go on Google street view some of the older buildings will still be there though no doubt modernised but streetview will still give you some impression of the general scenery etc.

I would agree with Ernie that the larger map shows the gravel pit in use from c1896. After all, the signal diagram shows the line from the pit having an Up Home signal before Dunsandle station, clearly to prevent trains from the pit proceeding beyond that point until station staff were prepared for them.

The signal cabin appears (from Weekly Circular) to have closed on 08/03/1926, with Homes and Starters in both directions removed. I expect the distants were left for the level crossing gates. Ground frames either end controlled the points to the good's loop.

Hi BSGSV

Yes it looks like typical for me signaling in and out and that's it

I think I have seen something some where that said the signal for the ballast pit line had a ring on it but not sure if that is the case.

Right now the lurgy is playing havoc with finding stuff out and finding drawings every one is not at work,

and apparently An Post are not delivering to Aus so even if I find what I want no one can post it to me.

Although design work for the mainline  point indicators is proceeding well they are a concession I decided to make on account of eyesight and white shows every time you don't want it to so I decided 1896 McK & H pattern WAGR point indicators on the mainline points was a good idea if they can be made to work.

Which is why on another thread I asked about rotating point indicators and had a win I got the answer I hoped for yippee

So it will be white is main and red is siding that will do.

Until I work out how best to tackle the signals when I get that far only got as far as probably wood mast when they where first installed, and how on earth do I represent a concrete mast apparently some became concrete masts later.

I think it will be the wrong kind of ground frames I don't like my chances at finding a drawing of the signal box and so far draw a blank at finding short lever High harp for want of a better description ground frame kits.

That look like the ones at Dunsandle or even Irish for that matter I think it was 8 lever for the crossing end and I think six lever the other end.

I assume the Irish railways used Black points Blue point lock Red signal and White spare for lever colors.

regards John

On 9/13/2020 at 9:48 PM, Irishswissernie said:

The Kiltulla-Bullan Road is the one going across the railway level crossing heading for the middle of the bottom  of the map. The buildings would mainly be small farms.

The new M6 road is probably built on top of part of the ballast siding where it curved away from the station to cross the road just after the one heading to the top right of the map.

If you go on Google street view some of the older buildings will still be there though no doubt modernised but streetview will still give you some impression of the general scenery etc.

Scenery relatively speaking flat and a lot greener than Kalgoorlie by the look of it 🤣 care will be needed to avoid the billiard table look with a few ups and downs.

It looks like the railway is or was the highest point in the landscape apart from maybe the spoil heaps from the gravel pits?

Which will make it interesting disguising the mouse holes where the train leaves the scenery It will be a roundy roundy layout with a siding or sidings  each representing Atymon and Loughrea and a couple of hidden storage roads for the stock that hopefully I will be able to get, not looking good at the moment I will not pay well out of order over the top  Evil Bay Prices for stock 10 pounds for a Hornby wagon that should be five I don't think so, two hundred for a Lima composite coach that's just plain madness.

If I could get it that's a brand new RTR or custom build locomotive from any reputable model supplier and probably postage as well.

regards John

17 minutes ago, Buz said:

I think I have seen something some where that said the signal for the ballast pit line had a ring on it but not sure if that is the case.

While looking for a signalling diagram

http://dunsandlerailwaystation.blogspot.com/2008/02/dunsandle-station-station-layout.html?m=1

A ringed siding signal was connected to a trap point protecting the exit from the ballast siding

Edited by NIR

48 minutes ago, NIR said:

While looking for a signalling diagram

http://dunsandlerailwaystation.blogspot.com/2008/02/dunsandle-station-station-layout.html?m=1

A ringed siding signal was connected to a trap point protecting the exit from the ballast siding

Thanks for the link

A ringed siding signal connected to that doesn't sound right unless ringed signal doesn't mean what I think it does, a standard signal arm with an O attached to it.

That does make things a bit clearer as to what was there than it was.

Interesting the description says three catch points yet the diagram only show's one but shows all the catch point indicators.

Perhaps a larger diagram would help with that part.

The spur line was worked with a tumbler OK what is a tumbler?

Not a term I have heard in association with signal equipment or operational requirements.

regards John

Just seeing this now.

I have seen a copy of a map - but nowhere is it apparently online - which shows a siding sharply curving away towards the ballast pit further away from the line (now probably buried under the Galway Plaza service station area).

However, the other day I went to the spot where the siding would have to cross the road as it left Dunsandle station. Far from there being any clue whatsoever to where this might have been, the motorway is now over anything there might have been. Not only that, but there are zero signs on the landscape of any sort of railway formation in google earth pictures before the motorway was built.

To cap it all, despite the overall flattish nature of the surrounding countryside, this longer siding would have had to go round quite a sharp curve and also rise quite a bit in height.

Jury remains out, as far as I'm concerned. If I find out any more I will post it here.