Starting to run stored locomotives - put them running

Rate this question

mmie353

Question

I am wondering, I have collected a lot of model locomotives over the years starting off with Murphy Models baby GMs and well to be honest, I want to get them going so as you can imagine, I have them in storage since for most of them, when I purchased them new. I am wondering do I need to lubricate them besides running them in as I need to as they finally get to hit the tracks? I would be asking for both Diesel and Steam Locomotives. 

3 answers to this question

I think that more important than lubricating them would be videos of the unboxing and their virgin runs.

:D

I've bought several 141's and 181's this year, brand new in box, and have broken them in gently, slowly running them in, in both directions, unladen, with no problems.

A tiny amount of oil appears to have seeped out of one or two while still in their boxes, but this has not affected their running.

I've never in my life seen locos so smooth, silent or sensitive. Using DC, if the old Hornby controller isn't exactly at zero, the MM Babies will start crawling away while trying to rail them.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I think that more important than lubricating them would be videos of the unboxing and their virgin runs.

:D

I've bought several 141's and 181's this year, brand new in box, and have broken them in gently, slowly running them in, in both directions, unladen, with no problems.

A tiny amount of oil appears to have seeped out of one or two while still in their boxes, but this has not affected their running.

I've never in my life seen locos so smooth, silent or sensitive. Using DC, if the old Hornby controller isn't exactly at zero, the MM Babies will start crawling away while trying to rail them.

Agree, the MM baby GMs are stunning runners. I bought most of mine about 6 years ago and all test ran quite and smooth out of the box bar one. Not bad considering they been locked up in storage for about 7 years before that. The noisy one just needed the tiniest amount of lube on the bogie gears and it too became quiet. I’ve some brand new Bachmann and Hornby steam locos in storage for close to 30 years. The few I’ve test run were fine freed up by a little lube. The two bachmann/MM CIE steam N class moguls both needed decent a lube service especially on the running and valve gear. No evidence of any rusting on any of the locos metal parts. I had some 30yo hornby Dublo steam locos that we’re practically seized and at the time had no access to lube or even 3-1 oil, so used margarine to free them up. 

the main thing is to store model locos in a dry environment that’s not damp nor suffers extremes of temp changes.

• Like 2