Bachmann spectrum diesel loco makes horrible grinding noise

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I've just recieved a second hand us diesel dc loco off ebay and it makes a horrible grinding noise. Hopefully u can hear it in the clip below. Just wondering if anyone can help diagnose the problem, should I attempt a repair or just return.

I am very new to this, 3 months at the hobby,  this is my 5th train. 

Many thanks

http://imgur.com/gallery/b9zxEr7

That sounds dreadful!

I have a couple of Spectrum locos and they’re not the quietest but there’s something wrong there. The gears sound like they are binding but it’s hard to tell without opening the loco up. If it was me I’d have a go at repairing it but if that’s not your thing then return it. If you decide to fix it post some pics here and we can try to help you out.

Occasionally you might have a broken gear but I'd wager that it has been sitting around for a while and is in need of lubrication with a light machine oil or similar. Should be easy enough to open up and clean and/or lubricate the gears and motor. Probably easier than returning it especially if you're responsible for return postage.

@raymurphWhich loco is it exactly?

Chances are, there's a youtube video to help you open it and guide you through the maintenance  

Edited by DiveController

I would agree with everyone advising lubrication. I am unboxing my locomotives out of storage at the moment on test track and I am putting a little lubrication on the gears to ease things. I have a couple of locomotives since the 90s that I running in again. It is making a huge difference to each locomotive. It would do no harm to open up and make sure everything is ok with the model

Edited by mmie353

Thanks for all the advice. I was able to take it apart and give it a clean which improved things. I'm waiting for lube oil and grease to come in  the post and then I'll strip it further and lube everything more. Video of it now:

http://imgur.com/gallery/BkUK9Qr

Feels satisfying to have improved it, hopefully after a further clean and lube it will be as quiet as my other spectrum diesel. 

Is it advisable to strip this truck down further for lubing?

Screenshot_20201202-130436_Video Player.jpg