Brassnut

Rate this topic

brassnut

Hi folks hope you are well. I'm in trouble with the couplings 

Well even if I new the name of these couplings i might be able to purchase them lol 

Seriously there off a Thomas kinkade xmas Express train now my problem is i dont know the name of the couplings but there spring loaded i know the springs sprung off somewhere 🙈 gone they are.,

If possible can you assist me in acquiring replacement couplings. Do they have to be the original type?

Or could I bung on a more simple type? Anyway have a look at the pictures. I eagerly await your replies thanks Tony 

20201127_164743.jpg

20201127_164901.jpg

20201127_164939.jpg

20201127_164916.jpg

20201127_164957.jpg

2 hours ago, brassnut said:

Hi folks hope you are well. I'm in trouble with the couplings 

Well even if I new the name of these couplings i might be able to purchase them lol 

Seriously there off a Thomas kinkade xmas Express train now my problem is i dont know the name of the couplings but there spring loaded i know the springs sprung off somewhere 🙈 gone they are.,

If possible can you assist me in acquiring replacement couplings. Do they have to be the original type?

Or could I bung on a more simple type? Anyway have a look at the pictures. I eagerly await your replies thanks Tony 

20201127_164743.jpg

20201127_164957.jpg

That's an easy fix. Just cut away and file off the coupling box under the wagon floor, and screw or glue a kadee draft gear box coupling in its place possibly no 148 which has fitted all my converted Bachmann 2 axle wagons

Kadee148_Bachmann_Wagons01.jpg

Kadee chart

kadee_chart_201805a.jpg

Bachmann wagons converted from TLCs to Kadee no 148s which screw directly onto the flat wagon floor. On most of the Bachmann wagons I had to cut away plastic mounts for the old TLC (tension lock couplings) and file flat to the underside of the wagon floor. Quick and easy to do with a snips and file. When fitting the replacement coupling test fit it before making permanent so that the trip pin and coupling are at the correct Kadee height above the track (NMRA standard). If converting a lot of stock the kadee height gauge is worth the cost. Greatly speeds up the conversion process. If coupling is mounted too high a few thin pieces of plastic card shims should be enough to lower it. The idea is the trip pin should be just 1mm over a kadee track uncoupling magnet. Gaugemaster in the UK are stockists for kadee full range (ie hattons only do the NEM pocket versions). The draft gear box kadee's such as no 148, etc, are usually better at automatic uncoupling and delayed uncoupling than the NEM versions.

IMG_5704.jpg

Hope this helps. One of the things I like about the choice of draft gear box kadee couplings is you can usually choose a version where it is totally hidden under a wagon floor rather than the box protruding past the buffer beam which is rather ugly (eg kadee no 5's not great for this reason).

PS: a 143 may be a better length for that wagon