Irish coach kit convertions?

Rate this topic

Colin R

They're not at all unlike them side-on, indeed!

i hadn't seen these - are they new?

Not all of the Rosslare set were twelve- wheeled, though.

Might get one of these myself.... is there any way of seeing a made-up model anywhere? A side view is one thing, but the side profile is another. I suspect, though, from my limited knowledge of pre-1925 Scottish coaches, that these might be OK though. The GSWR's 861 & 863 survived well into CIE days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BSGSV said:

The CR ones don't appear to have clerestories, but the GSWR ones did have, didn't they?

Would add to the fun of the kit bash I think.

Colin

13 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

They're not at all unlike them side-on, indeed!

i hadn't seen these - are they new?

Not all of the Rosslare set were twelve- wheeled, though.

Might get one of these myself.... is there any way of seeing a made-up model anywhere? A side view is one thing, but the side profile is another. I suspect, though, from my limited knowledge of pre-1925 Scottish coaches, that these might be OK though. The GSWR's 861 & 863 survived well into CIE days.

Hi here is a bit more infomation about them

https://caley.com/assets/pdfs/Grampian.pdf

I will see if I can find some photos of the kits for you.

Colin

Yes, the GSWR ones had clerestories, so the kits would need these added. If you were modelling 1950s, no need for the actual windows in these - they were just canvassed and painted over, as was 861 when I first set eyes on it at Whitehead in the late 70s..............

These kits have a good GSWR "look" about them, but window spacings and numbers of doors aren't exactly right. So, for the "two-foot rule" these kits are fine in a coat of CIE green, but for strict accuracy no.

10 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hi Guys the man whos kits they are has said if we can give him any drawings of the sides and other details he is willing to look at doing some etch sides for us, that is if we want him to?

Drawings anyone?

I have outline drawings, but I will be unable to access them until mid January (probably well within "time enough", anyway).

The thing most needed is a GSWR bogie - ideally a composite but other variations  too. They were to be seen on branch lines and main lines well into the 1960s, many lasting well within the "black'n'tan" era.

In fact, for a grey 121 or many of the forthcoming livery variations for the IRM "A" class locos, at least SOME wooden stock in a train is almost as obligatory as the (VERY obligatory) "tin van".

If he's prepared to do that, a Midland 6-wheeler will also be right for other "early diesels", especially a "C" class.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Colin R said:

If anyone has drawings of any rolling stock they want it done as a set of basic brass etch parts then Worsley works can do that for you.

I had actually contacted them recently, and will send them some stuff once I can get my archive stuff unpacked again. I've been in the middle of a house move of late (Dublin city to Malahide) and most of my stuff is still stored. My top two (of very many, in theory) would be a Midland 6-wheel third, the staple of many 1950s excursions on CIE, and a GSWR bogie compo - staple of same PLUS main lines, as late as 1974 on Dublin locals.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, airfixfan said:

There is also the book produced in the early 1970s by Transport Research Associates of G&SWR Coach Diagrams.

Hi Yes I have heard about that one and I think it has a number of excellent drawings which are suitable for kits

Colin

I recall there is somewhere on here a thread about this book and as it turned out, it is not as usefull as we had hoped, it is good for the basic dimensions but that is about it.

In the new year I will purchase a copy of the IRRS CD of coach drawings, what exactly is on the CD i don't know but I am told there are a lot of drawings which I will find to be useful.

Colin R

Edited by Colin R

40 minutes ago, Colin R said:

I recall there is somewhere on here a thread about this book and as it turned out, it is not as usefull as we had hoped, it is good for the basic dimensions but that is about it.

In the new year I will purchase a copy of the IRRS CD of coach drawings, what exactly is on the CD i don't know but I am told there are a lot of drawings which I will find to be useful.

Colin R

That CD contains the very information in the book I mentioned.

It was largely done (and in highly painstaking and accurate detail) by IRRS member Richard McLachlan. It is a fantastic resource, especially for a carriage nerd like me.

• Like 2