Bulleid's Turfburner - stock that it would have hauled?

Rate this topic

DERAILED

I urgently need any information on the rolling stock that was hauled by CC1 when on trial and or when it operated some services to Cork. Anything at all - what services did it operate? I'm aware that it would have hauled old GSWR bogie stock on the Inchicore Trial train but did it ever haul 1950s CIE passenger stock. I know about all the different books but I haven't time to order same as I need the info. today or tomorrow at the latest. Thanks in advance for any information, links etc.

T BURNER.jpeg

According to Mr Shepherd's book on its trial runs to Cork;-

October 4 1957 - 5 Bogie Carriages & 1 Heating Van = 165 Tons

October 5 1957 - 5 Bogie Carriages & 1 Heating Van = 165 Tons

Test runs to Sallins;-

September 4 1957 - 5 bogies & 1 van 160 tons

September 5 1957 - 7 bogies & 1 van 225 tons

September 6 1957 - 8 bogies & 1 van 255 tons

September 27 1957 - Five Bulleid design carriages

As far as I can remember in reading the book it never went into service, testing never finished, Bulleid left Inchicore with it going into storage??

Eoin

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Hi Derailed

I think that this photo should answer your question?

Thurles on the one and only run to Cork on 1 October 1957.

Photo from my talk (given in 2009) entitled "The Third Man" - the story of the unknown third man in the Turfburner saga - the late Ron Pocklington. It is one of the photos in the Ron Pocklington Collection - prints given to the IRRS by the Mr Pocklington.

I note that in his book Ernie Shepherd notes the photographer as GF Parrinder.

CC1 NEVER worked a fare-paying passenger train.

2135135206_Photo3.thumb.JPG.329edc2fade947407fc4c5f47e0e1f7e.JPG

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, DERAILED said:

Many thanks, just what I was looking for...and another question. When were the warning stripes and lining out added as all the pics that I can find online of testing show the loco as above?

It would seem around the time it was actually taken out of "trial" "service"....! It also appears to have been repainted in a dullish shade of green instead of what originally looked like a greeny-grey colour. Possibly they were preparing it for service but the traffic department had other ideas.

It worked a trial goods train as well, I believe, but I can't place the details.

• Like 1

Ah, a bit like painting the West Cork stations before closure so. I need to invest in some railway books instead of having to ask dopey questions here but the reason will be unveiled in due course. And, no, I haven't found CC1 hidden in a walled up tunnel!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DERAILED said:

Ah, a bit like painting the West Cork stations before closure so. I need to invest in some railway books instead of having to ask dopey questions here but the reason will be unveiled in due course. And, no, I haven't found CC1 hidden in a walled up tunnel!

Now THAT would be a find.....