Leyland atlantean d class

Rate this topic

GSI345

id agree that a die cast would be preferred....though i dont think there is enough production runs on this Bus to warrant a full Diecast.....This is a Unique Bus in that its a CIE Body & Only Operated in Ireland, therefore manufacturers would be reluclant to do casting based on 3 or 4 liveries.........

That Navy & Cream bus relased 10 yr ago by Octomodels as that start of a Range fro that D Class.....only 80 or 90 of these actually got made out of 150 beacuse the Casting was Problematic.....& subsqently never continued....

I'd say it would be a good candidate for a die-cast model... a few livery variations to entice collectors to purchase a few apiece: blue & cream, tan, and green. Maybe even the Smarties bus, too (or was that a different class)?

Correct, the Standard D was one of a few different buses that got the smarties treatment

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/libraries/dublin-city-public-libraries/reading-room/transport/alas-atlantean-bus-in-smarties-livery.jpg

Plenty of other advertising liveries too as well as the Ghostbus DF450.

My favourite bus, although I rarely got to go on one. They were being phased out at the time, as the Bombardier KD's were the order of the day. There would be the odd one of them about and it would come into the queue for my bus but for whatever reason a KD would always nip in ahead of it and I'd have to get that instead.

I used to call them, enderaringly, the 'fat bus'. Probably due to their size and also many of them featured 'Granby' Sausages ads on their fronts! There was the 'skinny one' too (Van Hool D Class, I think). A model of those two would be good. Both in their tan (faded orange) preferably.

Edited by Blu Bianco

yes the list goes on for the Avertising Liveries.....although Clearance is required to get these modelled...which is why No adverts are on any Irish models released........

Your Mentioned the Ghost Bus........The Ghost Bus was proposed for a Britbus Model RH31.....Britbus were willing to produce , but Dublin Bus would not give the Clearance........

so that was scrapped.......so its not that simple

I knew you'd like......Iv about 6 van Hools & 10 KD's running outta space........

Id really love that Leyland Atanltean D Class to be realsed as a Kit or Completed........Imagine that in Tan colour & two tone green........

Great addition to the collection

I knew you'd like......Iv about 6 van Hools & 10 KD's running outta space........

Id really love that Leyland Atanltean D Class to be realsed as a Kit or Completed........Imagine that in Tan colour & two tone green........

Great addition to the collection

I suppose we can dream! Given one of the latest versions of the Dublin Bus fleet is being released, as mentioned elsewhere on this forum, you never know. I thought there would be more of a market for the Leyland Atlantean, the Van Hool, even the Bombardier KD, more than any of the latest models. However thats not to say the prototype pics for the latest type aren't great.

There is a UK livery available, I think covering the Newcastle area and it is in a somewhat similar tan colour and does give a flavour as what could be, but it is not the same as having the Irish one.

Its a small market granted, be it for the shelf collector or for those with a rail layout based in the era's that the D Class covered, but to have a stunning Leyland D Altantean in completed format, would be brilliant, I agree.

Thanks for the pics.

Edited by Blu Bianco

It's long overdue I think anyway.......it really needs to be done....imagine the liveries and then there is the single door variations too.....sure maybe one day. Somehow I think this time next year ill reopen this post & say the same thing

I'd say it would be a good candidate for a die-cast model... a few livery variations to entice collectors to purchase a few apiece: blue & cream, tan, and green. Maybe even the Smarties bus, too (or was that a different class)?

Don't forget the driving school livery Pat. I learnt to drive and took my test in one of these. Over 20 years ago now God where has the time gone. :((

GSI335, I like the models. I admire anyone brave enough to put together kit models or even repainting a Diecast model into a different livery, it's one way of having models you want in your collection if a Diecast option is not available in the livery you want.

I would hate to think what the tooling costs for Diecast versions?

GSI335, I like the models. I admire anyone brave enough to put together kit models or even repainting a Diecast model into a different livery, it's one way of having models you want in your collection if a Diecast option is not available in the livery you want.

I would hate to think what the tooling costs for Diecast versions?

This is the problem we are up against with this model. This Atlantean is a CIE body there totally unique to all other variants of the Atlantean. A Diecasts manufacture simply would not make a casting as they would not get enough mileage out of it......I'm sure you are only too well aware.

This is why I have turned now to but models and repainting into ones similar to castings available. See my other thread with the alx400

yes the list goes on for the Avertising Liveries.....although Clearance is required to get these modelled...which is why No adverts are on any Irish models released........

Your Mentioned the Ghost Bus........The Ghost Bus was proposed for a Britbus Model RH31.....Britbus were willing to produce , but Dublin Bus would not give the Clearance........

so that was scrapped.......so its not that simple

Excuse my ignorance, but why on earth would Dublin Bus not give clearance for this? What was the harm?

Permission from head office is required for all models released as it bears copyrighted logos & legal address ect. If models are produced without permission, well there is a legal case there.....as you would be deemed to be producing a product for resale bearing copyrighted logos ect without the owners consent.

Permission from head office is required for all models released as it bears copyrighted logos & legal address ect. If models are produced without permission, well there is a legal case there.....as you would be deemed to be producing a product for resale bearing copyrighted logos ect without the owners consent.

I think the question was why did they refuse to grant permission, rather than why is permission needed...