Wickham Trolley.

Rate this topic

Broithe

Well, I succumbed at the weekend and got a Wickham Trolley - £65 from the ex-Mr Modelfair.

It is a tiny, delicate thing. This chap's video here gives a good representation of it - you can lose the first couple of minutes.

I got the plain yellow, as seen in the video, that seemed the best to produce a "plausible" version eventually.

It is extremely light and requires a pristine track surface.

There is, as you might expect, no space for a DCC socket, but Hattons will flog you a ready-chipped one for about £110.

The 'gravel' load isn't desperately realistic - a coating of suitable sand might help - and add to the weight.

If fitting personnel, then it could be an idea to use white metal ones, to further aid track connection.

They're a sweet wee model. Absolutely tiny.

Good to here Mr. Ex-Modelfair is still going. Got some of my 'hard to source items' from him in the past at good prices.

I see him every couple of months - he still does the fairs. He'll be at the Stafford Exhibition in a few weeks.

This is him - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/busmodelsatdrdays https://www.facebook.com/alongclassiclines/

Definitely a small thing - it's like running something N16.5

"Liquid lead" is a pourable granular product which can be set with PVA glue in any space/crevice in a model and adds decent weight. Might work here?

DO NOT use PVA for fixing liquid lead or metal BB's. over on RMweb there have been people who filled loco boilers with it and slowly overtime a chemical reaction happens and causes the glue to expand with great force. I would recommend using superglue, any £1 shop super glue would work for this job.

DO NOT use PVA for fixing liquid lead or metal BB's. over on RMweb there have been people who filled loco boilers with it and slowly overtime a chemical reaction happens and causes the glue to expand with great force. I would recommend using superglue, any £1 shop super glue would work for this job.

For years people would'nt believe this was real, until their locos started to come apart at the seams.....

It's caused by the PVA absorbing moisture which makes the lead oxidise. It can be prevented by varnishing over the PVA if the damage has'nt already occurred.

This reaction only happens with lead, so if you're using fishing shot (which is no longer lead) you should be alright.

I'm not sure if Liquid Lead is actually made from real lead, but I would'nt take the chance so use superglue!