Sign in to follow this  
dave182

121 Class Trial Suburban Livery in the 90s

Question

Can anyone remember a 121 class locomotive briefly getting an orange & green hybrid suburban livery at some stage in the 1990s? Possibly around the time the DART extensions were being proposed. Did any coaching stock receive similar?

(Apologies if I might have asked this before on the previous version of this site)

8 answers to this question

I have a picture of a 121 with Mk3 PP set in Connolly with the green stripe. It looked awful. Thankfully no push pull Mk3s got this applied to it. I'll try dig it out later.

• Informative 1

The loco was 124. No coaches were done. Michael McMahon's book "Irish Railway Rambler" has a pic of it, which is the second I have seen of this short lived (and not very pretty) livery.

Edit: Apologies. I just see from the caption to Michael's photo of 124, that he says one push-pull coach DID get a green stripe, and it was even shorter-lived than the loco. No details as to which coach, which I've never seen a photo of.

Edited by BSGSV
Correction
  • Informative 2

#Railer, #BSGSV, thanks for that info, and I’d love to see a picture Railer if you could lay your hands on it! That’s interesting about a push-pull coach getting the livery also...

And the winner of the prize for the most hideous locomotive livery of all time, in all world history goes to...........

7 hours ago, dave182 said:

Oh dear. Now that's ugly!

In fairness almost as ugly as the Orange livery 201s which were visually incompatible with the tippex livery mk3s they hauled, unlike the few Galway livery coaches.

• Like 1