Dundalk (?) Goods Yard Drawings

Rate this topic

Barrack Street Goods Yard. The connecting line to the Dundalk Newry & Greenore Quay St Station & Dundalk Port at upper left line to the Square Crossing Clones, Enniskillen, Omagh and junction with the GNR (Dundalk South Junction) main line bottom right. 

The yard was closed in the early 90s and freight traffic transferred to a new yard on the old Irish North Western connection at Dundalk Junction. Site now occupied by  Civic Centre/Council offices. Interesting the "Fitting Shop" beside the DNGR connecting line was this part of the old Irish North Western works 

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

The building on the right looks suspiciously like it started life as a locomotive running shed and the line to the left of the A Class as a passenger station, which would have made sense as the Dundalk & Enniskillen would have had its own station, running shed and works before the GNR Works and Loco depot was established.

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/1030219

Edited by Mayner

• 3 months later...

May as well add to this post without starting a new one, I have a couple of queries some one may be able to help with.

1. The large island platform that is just visible and has the water tank at the end, does anyone know when this platform was taken away? I am thinking it was sometime in the '70s, I cant remember it being there in the 80's.
  2. There are plenty of still photos of Barracks street but I have heard of a video on YouTube showing a cab view of some shunting going on. Tried every search combination but cannot find it, can anyone point me to a link for this video?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

The old platform in Barrack St yard was removed in the mid-1970s during track alterations to accommodate the freight container gantry, around 1975-6. The video you mention, I've seen it posted on Facebook groups. This is a direct link to the video (but you may have to join the page Dundalk Northend and Friends Old and New Photos to see it), it was filmed shortly before Barrack St closed in 1995. https://www.facebook.com/larry.ohagan/videos/10209655126169960/ Hope this of help.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...