IRM A class decoder arrived.

Rate this topic

Noel

Received my first IRM ESU LokSound V5 decoder for IRM A class in advance of the locos arriving. Slowly building up the tension. Delighted to see F5 and F8 included. Will be interested in F13 which looks rather tasty. 

Debating will I wait for the first of my A class locos to arrive in early Sept, or will I try out driving this decoder in another loco in the mean time so that I can learn its driving characteristics. I have a spare Bachmann class 37 which might suffice as a test bed. What's four weeks? But love to hear what it sounds and drives like while waiting for the locos. Also have an ESU test bed PCB with speaker which I could use to listen to the sounds.

With zees funkschions ambassador you are spoiling us, ja! :)

Nice function list available on the IRM web site. (link below)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0026/4984/9913/files/A_Class_DCC_functionality.pdf?v=1603462537

A_Class_DCC_functionality.pdf?v=16034625

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Noel said:

Received my first IRM ESU LokSound V5 decoder for IRM A class in advance of the locos arriving. Slowly building up the tension. Delighted to see F5 and F8 included. Will be interested in F13 which looks rather tasty. 

Debating will I wait for the first of my A class locos to arrive in early Sept, or will I try out driving this decoder in another loco in the mean time so that I can learn its driving characteristics. I have a spare Bachmann class 37 which might suffice as a test bed. What's four weeks? But love to hear what it sounds and drives like while waiting for the locos. Also have an ESU test bed PCB with speaker which I could use to listen to the sounds.

With zees funkschions ambassador you are spoiling us, ja! :)

Nice function list available on the IRM web site. (link below)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0026/4984/9913/files/A_Class_DCC_functionality.pdf?v=1603462537

A_Class_DCC_functionality.pdf?v=16034625

Why bother with experimenting at this stage when the locomotive are only weeks away,be patient and enjoy the experience when they do arrive.   

• Thanks 1

On 14/8/2021 at 11:15 PM, ttc0169 said:

Why bother with experimenting at this stage when the locomotive are only weeks away,be patient and enjoy the experience when they do arrive.   

Why? Cause I'd like to know what this decoder project is like to drive prototypically. Looks good on paper but it would be nice to try it in a test bed loco.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Why? Cause I'd like to know what this decoder project is like to drive prototypically. Looks good on paper but it would be nice to try it in a test bed loco.

That’s entirely your choice,I’m happy to wait until the locomotives arrive to see and hear them in prototypical action…..

• Like 1

On 14/8/2021 at 11:15 PM, ttc0169 said:

I’ll be doing this myself as I plan to remap the functions to different keys so the A Class locos match the rest of my fleet.

Nice to have this done and dusted before the locos arrive. Means less faffing about when they get here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, irishthump said:

I’ll be doing this myself as I plan to remap the functions to different keys so the A Class locos match the rest of my fleet.

Nice to have this done and dusted before the locos arrive. Means less faffing about when they get here.

Again that’s your choice,I plan to remap F26 the headlight to a different key but I’m happy to wait until they arrive 👍👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have received all of my “A” class beauties. I must say my favorite livery is the silver version. The incredible detail really pops. Have a question on decoders for the As. I’m awaiting the arrival of the DCC decoders from the IRM site but I did try to use a spare 21 pin TCS decoder I had and I was unable to make it work. I have used these decoders in the past for Murphy models 071, 141 without any problems. Are the IRM decoders the only ones that will work for the As?

thanks, Brendan CA, USA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trainboy said:

Hi,

I have received all of my “A” class beauties. I must say my favorite livery is the silver version. The incredible detail really pops. Have a question on decoders for the As. I’m awaiting the arrival of the DCC decoders from the IRM site but I did try to use a spare 21 pin TCS decoder I had and I was unable to make it work. I have used these decoders in the past for Murphy models 071, 141 without any problems. Are the IRM decoders the only ones that will work for the As?

thanks, Brendan CA, USA

any 21 pin decoder should function but the lighting features may not all work depending on the number of functions and config of the chip.