UTA Uniforms!

Rate this question

LARNE CABIN

Question

Hi @jhb171achill, in particular, or any one else of the learned forum members who may have the answer. I am starting out to paint a few figures for my Larne Harbour Station layout, set late 60's, mostly 1969, 'Steams Last Fling'. I would like to be as authentic as possible regarding uniforms. I know NIR took over in 1967, but I am assuming in 1969, most staff still in UTA uniform?. My main characters are Porter, Signalman and Shunter!  

Photos of staff are very scarce. Jonathan Allen's 35 Years of NIR has a picture of Senior Porter Fred Savage at Lisburn in 1972 very neatly turned out, white shirt, red tie, in NIR uniform. Was a white shirt typical of UTA?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

10 hours ago, LARNE CABIN said:

Hi @jhb171achill, in particular, or any one else of the learned forum members who may have the answer. I am starting out to paint a few figures for my Larne Harbour Station layout, set late 60's, mostly 1969, 'Steams Last Fling'. I would like to be as authentic as possible regarding uniforms. I know NIR took over in 1967, but I am assuming in 1969, most staff still in UTA uniform?. My main characters are Porter, Signalman and Shunter!  

Photos of staff are very scarce. Jonathan Allen's 35 Years of NIR has a picture of Senior Porter Fred Savage at Lisburn in 1972 very neatly turned out, white shirt, red tie, in NIR uniform. Was a white shirt typical of UTA?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Only seeing this now.

UTA uniforms were a colour which was either loiterally black, or a grey so very dark that it was to all intents and purposes black. Shirts were white.

Caps were black, and carried a green-background UTA roundel on them prior to 1960, and in many cases long after that; the full crest was introduced as far as I remember in 1960, but I never remember seeing caps with that on them - though it spread to locos, coaches, railcars and published material pretty quickly.

I also remember some UTA uniforms had a green lining of some sort, like the later NIR ones had in maroon, but I don't fully recall the details.

For a 00 scale sized model, lining in uniforms won't apply! So, black uniform and cap and white shirt. Drivers in a sort of faded blue overalls on steam, normal uniform on diesel. Drivers caps were shiny-topped.

Hope that helps.

JB

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1