Self propelled cranes and small coasters

Rate this question

David Holman

Question

Been pondering on the above as a possible project for a while, so thought it time to try tapping into the immense resource of this website - note flattery! Seem to remember Fenit pier had several rail mounted cranes, but were there any other places? Also wondering if a smaller, wagon mounted crane, pushed/pulled by something like 'Pat' from the elevated track in Cork might be appropriate. Any pointers welcome.

Likewise any info on small coastal ships that might have plied the west coast. Around the size of a Clyde Puffer, which works out at about 50cm x 15cm. Anyone would  think I'm looking into creating a small harbour scene...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Galteemore said:

In fairness to Rice, too, one elderly Irish 0-6-0 can look much like another, especially with rebuilds, Z class boilers etc factored in. In some variations, there’s not a lot between a J15 and a J18/19, as seen below …..After all, how many of us can identify the various nuances of GWR panniers ?! 

CE586DCC-445F-47BD-9CB3-46323EB3F3F8.jpeg

98C529A1-5688-484D-86E9-5E0737E34427.jpeg

Interestingly I once spoke to Robin Clements and he considered the J18 rebuilt with Inchacore cab and X superheater boiler to be a Southern rather than a Midland engine.

I think Rices point was that the ex-GSWR J15 was considered ubitiqous on the Southern system which is reflective of most writings on Irish railways at the time, at a practical level the TMD J15 kit or scratchbuilding a MGWR 0-6-0 are the only options. While Midland engines generally stuck to their territory there is photographic evidence of GSWR 0-6-0s working goods trains on the Midland in CIE days.

Interestingly the section on Westport Quay in Rices' book includes a nice sketch of a J26 complete with CIE era riveted smokebox and Inchacore chimney although the kit is only available in its original pre-1912 form.

7mm is probably the best option for modelling the MGWR in the GSR/CIE era with a good range of loco and coach kits and easier to work in the larger scale than 4mm. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

Interestingly I once spoke to Robin Clements and he considered the J18 rebuilt with Inchacore cab and X superheater boiler to be a Southern rather than a Midland engine.

A reasonable point, considering that the design work for the mid-1910s rebuilding of them was all done in Inchicore, and by the same team who were working on trying to standardise as many boilers as they could, right across the GSR.

Certain drivers and crews would have vehemently disagreed. The driving position was on the other side on the Midland; not a small detail to a footplateman, though less obvious from outside the cab, of course! Plus there was the old company loyalty thing, like NCC versus GNR in Belfast.

The late Billy Lohan once told me that J18s were, in his words, "scrap", and by his admittedly highly pernickety judgement "weren't properly looked after by Broadstone" (he was a "Southern" man through and through!). Billy was most certainly not the man to whom it might be wise to suggest that he was generalising!! So I said nothing............!

He went on to regale me with a story of taking empty cattle trucks from Tubbercurry to Ennis for a fair the next day, one time. He was given a J18 which was not in the best of order; in fact, it was on its way to Inchicore to see the vet. The brakes failed and he swept away a pair of crossing gates with it, and the air turned blue.......!