Cable Train/ Esat Cable Train

Rate this question

dave182

Question

Hi guys,

I've been researching for my layout and a train that has been mentioned is the Esat Cable Train. Anyone got any pictures? If my memory serves me right the 22' flat wagon that were in the sidings at Tullamore may have formed part of this set?

I believe that CIE done a deal with Esat in the late 80s to allow them lay telecommunication cables along the railway lines, presumably in conjunction with the upgrading of CIEs own cabling and signaling.

There is also mention of a 'cable plough', for trenching beside the line. This was taken out of service some time in the 90s (?) because a health and safety review said it had the potential to destabilize embankments and cuttings. Again, if any one has any pictures please share!

Regards, David

10 answers to this question

The train was used from the early 70s mainly for cable laying in connection with the signal and electrical department without incident until someone panicked.

The train normally seemed to live on the siding off the CTC Loop in Sallins, but may have been working for Esat when photographed at Enfield in the late 90s.

There was a lot of contraversy at the time it looks like there was pressure at high level to complete the work for Esat without regard to IEs requirements, the Mini CTC was a design and build contract with a French company.

Apart from cost over-runs, the trial interlocking at Knockcrokery on the Mayo Line was unreliable, IE basically kicked out the contractor and basically installed a superior system to its own design at a lower cost.

I was not really interested in the cable train but the photos will give a general idea, basically the train was made up of wagons carrying cable drums, the plough and a van to supply power light and somewhere for the crew to have a midnight snack.

Plough.jpg

Train.jpg

Plough.jpg

Train.jpg

Edited by Mayner

John, thank you so much for taking the time to fish out those pictures and sharing that information! I alway think to myself that everything has been covered by now on this forum, but every single week I check in there is information on another new formation, or wagon or freight flow- so many modelling options that you would never have considered before! I like the idea of modelling a short version of this train as it's quite unique and probably not seen by many people day to day.

Thanks again for the info, any more pictures out there?

Brilliant shot the urban scene certainly cries out to be modelled, the area around the back of Cork station is/was very interesting the wrought iron trusses in the foreground may be part of the original GSWR Station.

The flats look like 60' rail wagons, the cranes may be hand operated for lifting and lowering rail to the line side, there is a photo of rails being swapped out on the Burma Road in JHBs & Barry Carse's book Rails Through The West with the same cranes mounted on ex MGWR rail wagons dating from the 1920s