SSM Sulzer 101

Rate this topic

Weshty

Great video. Well done Gerry, she looks really good in that green livery plus the sound. How did the build go?

The building was fine really, similar to the old IRM 071 kit. I didn't use the new grilles as they came too late but these look good. The front windows were done with Deluxe "Glue and Glaze" as the resin is too thick to fit cut out windows (the 071/IRMs kit used vacuum formed clear plastic protrusions). Might be an idea to provide brass window surrounds to assure that the correct profile is achieved as the resin is a bit vague here. I used Smiths replica hooks and fittings. The green is an LNER locomotive shade from Phoenix Paints. I used a cut-down Hornby Railroad DCC-ready chassis which fits really snug. There is plenty of room in the loco body to house the soundchip and the Bass Reflex speaker. The soundchip is a Loksound V3.5 and I had Southwest Digital reblow it with BR Class 24 which had the same engine as B101 Class. B101 will appear at the Easter Model Railway and Transport Show at St Joseph's in Wexford on my layout Ballybeg.

Thanks for the update Gerry. I was wondering how you did your front windows. Really tempted by your soundchip.

Deluxe Glue and Glaze is a PVA style material which I coated behind each window opening. The, using a cocktail stick, I coaxed a thin film to form across the window opening. This may pop and need to be repeated or additional G&G added. It dries clear enough. I stuck the windscreen wiper in place later with a dab of G&G.