SSM Sulzer 101

Rate this topic

Weshty

I had a good look at the model on Des's stand at the show and it looked amazing. It's probably the best resin, brass, white metal kit I have seen as it just looks right. Congrats on doing a great job in having her finished for the weekend Des, it must have been non stop. I loved the steam loco in the cabinet. The MK111 Gen van looked great as did the other wagons. Good luck to anyone getting a kit they won't be disappointed.

Rich,

looking at our baby and i just wondered whats the best way to manage the windows? if the glazing isnt flush with the frames then the wipers will look off . no point in glueing a piece of clear plastic to the inside of the cab (which is what i have done in the past and got away with on the E and D class shunters, as welll as B113 and 114, but i cant see that working here. any thoughts?

One option I have used before is to take a small square out of a CD case and work it down with emery board until you get it right, and it's then held in place by wedging it into the opening. That way you can adjust/weather as you need. A little bit of pva to hold in place. Cheap CD covers from a euro shop are thin enough to work nicely. R

Oh, forgot to mention that it's an excellent model des, and a real pity I didn't get to see it in the flesh.

Edited by Glenderg

One option I have used before is to take a small square out of a CD case and work it down with emery board until you get it right, and it's then held in place by wedging it into the opening. That way you can adjust/weather as you need. A little bit of pva to hold in place. Cheap CD covers from a euro shop are thin enough to work nicely. R

Oh, forgot to mention that it's an excellent model des, and a real pity I didn't get to see it in the flesh.

This stuff dries beautifully clear - http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/deluxe_materials/AD-55_deluxe_materials_glue_n_glaze.htm

With you on that one heirflick-looking forward to this more than the 071,the model looks classic,well done to Des for an excellent model

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind comments and feedback. It was a pleasure to meet you all last weekend, a great time was had!

Yes, the painting could have been more precise, but timelines...timelines.

It's just good to know that all the work and corrections did the job. Especially as the original master had to be scrapped as it just did not capture the subtle angles of the prototype.

Anyway, work progresses, the moulders have confirmed today that the moulding has started, so 3-4 weeks shoudl see it right.

Regarding glazing, I will provide some preprinted thin sheet for the side and some thicker material for friction fitting in the front, as Glenderg mentioned and as I have used successfully on my A Class a few years ago.

[quote name=Weshty;13851

Regarding glazing' date=' I will provide some preprinted thin sheet for the side and some thicker material for friction fitting in the front, as Glenderg mentioned and as I have used successfully on my A Class a few years ago.[/quote]

good man westy!

Lads, just a point I thought I'd mention. With the Hornby Class 55, the body has some amount of weights attached. When I used these Bogies for an A Class, I had to use a lot of weight to stop the wheels slipping. I'm just wondering will the Brass Chassis with the Sulzer be heavy enough? Weshty have you had any problems or have you tested it on the track?

Ger.

Guest hidden-agenda

Some where in this thread i had asked about the glazing and it was missed. I remember the Q kits days when you filed the window out put masking tape over the opening and drew a pencil line around the window then put the tape on to some clear plastic and started cutting and filing.I got two windows done per day ( boredom set in ) it was a slow process.I am looking forward to the model but i wonder is it not possible to get vacuum formed glazing made that would provide a sort of flush glaze and save time and do the model justice?

i wonder is it not possible to get vacuum formed glazing made that would provide a sort of flush glaze and save time and do the model justice?

I had cause to deliver some stuff to South Eastern Finecast a few years back and had a good tour of the facilities - flush glazing packs are one of his staple lines - http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Flushglaze%20Windows/Flushglaze%20Windows%20Page%201.htm

Guest hidden-agenda
i wonder is it not possible to get vacuum formed glazing made that would provide a sort of flush glaze and save time and do the model justice?

gareth, are you talking about something similar to the glazing silver fox used on their metro-vics?

Yes Seamus i think he done the same as what MIR done they i think had glazing as an extra for the loco bodies ( if i am wrong i stand to be whipped) and the original cement bubble was two halves that were vacuum formed in clear plastic so i am sure it could be done only thing is cost for a short run, mind you i was able to get flush glazing for the lima 08 shunter a while back and it looks good so some one on the site may know a person who has a vacuum forming machine or invest in one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12x12-Hobby-Vacuum-Former-Machine-Thermoform-Plastic-Vac-u-form-Forming-Form-/230695343839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b68396df

Thoughts of a mad man may be.

As I have fitted a horny deltic chassis to my a39,and

as I found out the extra weight will be needed for good

running as she won't pull much and any sort of incline

brings it to a halt.Now that I will have time to get back

to long finger projects-a39 needs to get some attention

regarding extra weight.The deltic motor is a great runner

even at slow speed.