SSM Sulzer 101

Rate this topic

Weshty

Guest hidden-agenda
I think Weshty mentioned in an earlier post that the glazing would be a fitted flush glaze for the windscreens and printed acetate or similar for the side windows.

I only saw the post up above that Heir flick has quoted David.

I've a vague recollection that this was previously asked elsewhere but I can't recall the response, any one know which of the UK sulzers would be closest in terms of sound to the 101 sulzer class? I'm planning ahead for my forthcoming build.

Mark

I've a vague recollection that this was previously asked elsewhere but I can't recall the response, any one know which of the UK sulzers would be closest in terms of sound to the 101 sulzer class? I'm planning ahead for my forthcoming build.

Mark

I reckon a class 24 would be your best bet.

If you do a search for Shawplan / Extreme Etchings, you will find that they produce glazing kits known as "Laserglaze" for various engines and rolling stock. They are light years ahead of vacuum-formed stuff, and are the closest thing to glass that you can get without actually being glass....

Click here for sample

....horny deltic chassis....

Would you not be wanting to rephrase that? :ROFL:

Edited by Horsetan

If you do a search for Shawplan / Extreme Etchings, you will find that they produce glazing kits known as "Laserglaze" for various engines and rolling stock. They are light years ahead of vacuum-formed stuff, and are the closest thing to glass that you can get without actually being glass....

I seen an article with George Dent using these on a class 47 very tasty and a big improvement on the original factory glazing would be nice if they would do a set for the MM201

Regarding glazing, I will provide some preprinted thin sheet for the side and some thicker material for friction fitting in the front, as Glenderg mentioned and as I have used successfully on my A Class a few years ago.

Please see above chaps :) No need to get on to shawplan. It's going to be included in the kit.

Might be worth asking Shawplan if they would consider covering Irish classes, including those made by SSM.

I've already been talking to Brian about it Ivan and I will be sending off the relevant details to him soon. Brian does everything in house himself and he said he would take on the work. I will keep everyone updated when I can.

The windscreens and the cabside sliding windows are the ones that need attention. The cabside windows are set back to far on the model and even though they are not fully flush on the prototype they should look very tasty when done. Actually I must start a thread about it to see if anyone is interested in them. I have been talking to some lads that are already interested in them but I will certainly post to the rest of the group.

Rich,

Might be worth asking Shawplan if they would consider covering Irish classes, including those made by SSM.

I don't know if you have any contact with them but seen as their in your neck of the woods maybe you could ask. Its would be nice to see some local retailers stocking Irish after market bits for Murphy Models, SSM, Silver Fox etc

I've already been talking to Brian about it Ivan and I will be sending off the relevant details to him soon. Brian does everything in house himself and he said he would take on the work. I will keep everyone updated when I can.

The windscreens and the cabside sliding windows are the ones that need attention. The cabside windows are set back to far on the model and even though they are not fully flush on the prototype they should look very tasty when done. Actually I must start a thread about it to see if anyone is interested in them. I have been talking to some lads that are already interested in them but I will certainly post to the rest of the group.

Rich,

Just to advise that the cabside windows have a slight indent so that you can cut out thin acetate, glue on and then glue the brass window surrounds over them. I am thinking of yee lads. ;-)

Click here for sample

Would you not be wanting to rephrase that? :ROFL:

Now that would be a nice chassis to get.lol

Lads, just on the glazing, I know Weshty has said that there is glazing included and it will be up to his usual high standard, but another option is the oblong Acetate cover from inside the Hornby Class 55 box. It is quite firm and easy to cut and shape.

Ger.

Just another question, does anyone have any photos of the 101 Sulzers in the Green Livery? I was thinking Revell 360 Fern Green might be a good match. Any suggestions?

Can't wait to get started on this kit.

Thank you,

Ger

There's a photo of a green Sulzer in 'Irish Railways in Colour: A Second Glance' by Tom Ferris...

Guest hidden-agenda
Just another question, does anyone have any photos of the 101 Sulzers in the Green Livery? I was thinking Revell 360 Fern Green might be a good match. Any suggestions?

Can't wait to get started on this kit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3436[/ATTACH].

Thank you,

Ger

Jnb might be able to help as the 40 shades of green thing always come to mind and in different pics in different lighting conditions and of course age of the loco in a certain livery its hard to make a choice.

Is that a postcard you have?

Jnb might be able to help as the 40 shades of green thing always come to mind and in different pics in different lighting conditions and of course age of the loco in a certain livery its hard to make a choice.

Is that a postcard you have?

Lads, the instructions will include Colourail photos of all four liveries, I paid dearly for the copyright to do this! ;-)

They're getting excited Des as the release date is getting ever closer. With everything else you have going on at the moment you really pulled it out of the hat with the work you put into the model to have it on display at the MRSI show. I'm still praying for a foot bridge.

Rich,

They're getting excited Des as the release date is getting ever closer. With everything else you have going on at the moment you really pulled it out of the hat with the work you put into the model to have it on display at the MRSI show. I'm still praying for a foot bridge.

Rich,

Heh! Well I've finally finished building a model of the level crossing gate kit. Photos to follow!

Such a tease Des....

Edit - on paints, I got some excellent cie heritage paints off Jim poots at raheny and the colour tones are unlike those available from the big manufacturers. His green is uncanny to all photos i've seen of the era. And for €2 a tin he should sell it by the pint. Richie.

Edited by Glenderg
relevant content :p

Such a tease Des....

Edit - on paints, I got some excellent cie heritage paints off Jim poots at raheny and the colour tones are unlike those available from the big manufacturers. His green is uncanny to all photos i've seen of the era. And for €2 a tin he should sell it by the pint. Richie.

Wow, must get me some of those...I saw them alright, but was only thinlking of my bus purchase duh!

.... I got some excellent cie heritage paints off Jim poots at raheny and the colour tones are unlike those available from the big manufacturers. His green is uncanny to all photos i've seen of the era. And for €2 a tin he should sell it by the pint.

Does he have a website?

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, just got news from the moulders. They will be shipping them out next Friday the 7th, so I should be able to start posting out by the following Thursday, so you should have them in your letterboxes on Friday the 14th...plenty of time for Christmas!