SSM Sulzer 101

Rate this topic

Weshty

Great to see a few ingenuées for the International Bar on board.

As for the loco,

Cab side with grill

Internal cab detail, dashboard, floor, seating and control handwheels

Front with klaxon grill

Roof grill

roof grill.jpg

ffront.jpg

side.jpg

cab.jpg

roof grill.jpg

ffront.jpg

side.jpg

cab.jpg

Oh Lordy Mark, if I knew that.....

It all depends on getting the time.

I need to ensure the master fits together ok. Then strengthen it internally suitable for moulding. Build up the compound curves and joins with milliput. Final approve and send to the moulders.

Do up the etch design for the detailing pack, approve and finalise

Instructions written and designed.

I'm looking at June.

A 20 wouldn't Eamon, but a 24 or a 25 might be as they had similarly sized Sulzer engines.

Des, is it still your intention to make the kit easily adaptable for Athearn SD9 running gear as well as the Hornby Deltic?

Not just my intention, but has been done. The floor pan has been etched to enable the easy removal of a second ope so that the SD9 chassis can be easily mounted. The bogie sides are also a compromise size that fall between the Class 55 and SD9 dimensions.

Not just my intention, but has been done. The floor pan has been etched to enable the easy removal of a second ope so that the SD9 chassis can be easily mounted. The bogie sides are also a compromise size that fall between the Class 55 and SD9 dimensions.

Excellent news, now to source a donor!

• 1 month later...
Anto

I dont know

I should have said Cl 55's :mad:

Dave the Lima class 50 & 55 were really H0 scale and were derived from the same chassis. They didn't have the correct wheelbase for the prototype they were meant to portray. As far as I can remember the bogies shared the same wheelbase on the models. There used to be a kit available to lengthen the Deltic body to the correct scale from A1 models or Craftsman.

I think anyone wanting to do real justice to Des's Sultzer would be better off taking the SD9 chassis option as that is what most people used with MIR 071's. P2K chassis can be picked up for around the same cost as one of the Railroad (ex Lima) variants if you shop around.

Rich,

Dave the Lima class 50 & 55 were really H0 scale and were derived from the same chassis. They didn't have the correct wheelbase for the prototype they were meant to portray. As far as I can remember the bogies shared the same wheelbase on the models. There used to be a kit available to lengthen the Deltic body to the correct scale from A1 models or Craftsman.

I think anyone wanting to do real justice to Des's Sultzer would be better off taking the SD9 chassis option as that is what most people used with MIR 071's. P2K chassis can be picked up for around the same cost as one of the Railroad (ex Lima) variants if you shop around.

Rich,

I have an Athearn SD9 chassis ready to go, might even transplant a kato motor in, should be fun...

I have an Athearn SD9 chassis ready to go, might even transplant a kato motor in, should be fun...

Even an old grumbling Athearn would be a better option than a Railroad chassis Fran. Transplanting a Kato motor into the Athearn, you're a brave man Fran:tumbsup:.

Rich,

I've seen a railroad class 59 run on Bren's old layout and it seriously struggled with even just a few wagons. You just cant beat a proper all wheel drive set up with flywheels and a can motor so that's what I'll be going for. They run smooth and pull well.

I've seen a railroad class 59 run on Bren's old layout and it seriously struggled with even just a few wagons. You just cant beat a proper all wheel drive set up with flywheels and a can motor so that's what I'll be going for. They run smooth and pull well.

I have to disagree with you there Fran. Hopefully this will put the issue of the Hornby Railroad to bed once and for all as I can't fault them on power and performance.

Have a look at this link http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/359-Hornby-Railroad-range-performance?p=4600#post4600

I have to disagree with you there Fran. Hopefully this will put the issue of the Hornby Railroad to bed once and for all as I can't fault them on power and performance.

Have a look at this link http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/359-Hornby-Railroad-range-performance?p=4600#post4600

As I said in that thread; Well, lets be fair, Hornby Mark 1s and Dapol/Airfix/Hornby Mark 2 air cons weigh next to nothing. Stick them on a rake of your MIR wagons, then I might be impressed.

There's no doubting their smoothness, and they are a decent motor bogie, but nothing will beat a central can motor and flywheel drive powering two bogies. If it did, we'd still have our 141s and new 201s powered with a motor bogie. If the railroad bogie suits your needs then fine, I'm still going down the all-wheel drive road.

And don't even get me started on traction tyres!!!

Right. Enough of this chat about donor chassis et al. Here's what you are going to be putting ON your donor chassis. Need to start forming the compound curves and getting the ancilliary bits, but we're getting there.

untitled1.jpg

101 copy.jpg

untitled1.jpg

101 copy.jpg

Edited by Weshty
added photos

Thats looking damn impressive Des. It's always great to see a manufacturer have the b**ls to show a model at the various stages of production. You have brought a hell of a lot of excellent models to the table since taking over SSM and this looks to be on the same level if not better, well done :tumbsup:.

Rich,