SSM Sulzer 101

Rate this topic

Weshty

Would anyone put one of them together for me? I'd really love one and i never done that before and dont even wanna try since i would probably ruin in :ROFL:

There really is very little to put together. The metal parts and grill bits just glue on to the body shell. The under frame can be bent to shape and adjusted with a pliers and all brass bits can be cut out with a strong scissors. Superglue is your friend. Pop out the class 55 bogies from the donor and pop into the holes. Off ye go!

That doesnt sound to bad allright! Its the painting i am more worried about though!

Practice on an old piece of rolling stock and get your masking technique perfected and you can't go wrong. I feel your reluctance to try but as Eamonn has said ask on here. Confidence is a huge factor, but the practice will help there.

Rich,

That doesnt sound to bad allright! Its the painting i am more worried about though!

Say you want to do the final colour (orange with black stripe)

Assemble the whole model

Get a spraycan of grey primer and blast the assembled chassis and the resin body with it

Get a spraycan of orange brown (volkswagon orange will do), spray the resin body

Get some masking tape and cover the orange area so as to expose where the black is to be

Spray can of black etc.....

That's it really.

Of course for finer work use am airbrush, Lidl are selling a mini compressor and a basic airbrush for €65 at the moment. You just can't go wrong. It beats a 2hp compressor cause you can work inside the house without waking the childer...

If starting with a multi coloured livery is daunting the B101 also ran in silver, unlined green and plain black similar to the Preserved A39 at Downpatrick, Weshty might even do a set of white cheverons to go above the cab window on the black version.

I sure could, or some 1.5mm masking tape to help get the shape right.

But as you say, the silver or all black would be vetry straightforward to do.