SSM Sulzer 101

Rate this topic

Weshty

Hi all.

I am happy to report that the Sulzer bodies finally arrived yesterday evening. The model is looking very tasty indeed.

As a result I have been busy packing, sorting, printing and preparing since, and hope to have most orders in the post tomorrow morning so you should have them in time for Santa!

All the best and a Merry Christmas to you and yours (MILs included).

Des,

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the work you put into getting this model ready. It was hard work but well worth it. Looking forward to see how all the builds go.

Wishing you and yours a peaceful and Happy Christmas and lots of goodies for 2013.

Ger.

Des,

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the work you put into getting this model ready. It was hard work but well worth it. Looking forward to see how all the builds go.

Wishing you and yours a peaceful and Happy Christmas and lots of goodies for 2013.

Ger.

Ger,

Many thanks for the kind sentiments. Merry Christmas to all!

Regards

Des

• 2 weeks later...

Irishrailwayman, I'd say LNER green would be very slightly too bright, but it's not a bad idea! With so many superb kits now available, and the very good standards of modelling these days (and getting better!) I wonder is there any paint manufacturer out there who might do authentic Irish ones?

I have samples of GSWR / GSR / CIE loco grey, GNR loco blue, and the earlier CIE dark green. The GSR maroon was slightly brighter than LMS maroon (though not very different), and the brown and cream used by the GSR for a while was as good as identical to that of the GWR across the water. There used to be a firm called "Precision Paints" who could supply many authentic shades for many British liveries, and LMS / GWR (and I am sure LNER) was available from them.

The GSR used much the same wagon grey as the LMS, as did the GNR(I) and the NCC. BCDR grey was darker. So LMS wagon grey would have a lot of uses in Ireland.

There's one for the manufacturers!

Hoping to paint mine in the Green Livery. Looking at Des's photo and the RPSI colour it looks quite bright so I was looking at RAL6024 Traffic Green or RAL6032 Signal Green. I'd like to hear anyone else's opinion.

Will be starting a Workbench thread on the 101 build very soon.

Ger.

The RPSI colour is close enough to authentic, Ger711. I'm not well up on modern paint manufacturers - back when I was making crude attempts at CIE models i had everything black'n'tan so I never tried any green. In traffic, I have seen pics of various things straight out of the paint shop in green and it did look quite bright on a newly painted vehicle, but would weather down quite quickly. If you intend to model the loco "ex-works", it would be quite bright. It would probably have been mildly weathered most of the time, so if you did that the weathering process would dull it down anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

SSM customers who has questions about the Sulzer or any other products they have purchased can contact me directly via email.

I will be only too delighted to assist and resolve any queries as best as possible, as many of you can already attest to (props to Enniscorthy man and Ger!)

Based on some direct requests I have finalised and approved a Sulzer retrofit grill pack that will be available to customers on request. I should have it in stock in two weeks time. :)

Edited by Weshty

• 2 weeks later...
Based on some direct requests I am delighted to announce that I have finalised and approved a Sulzer retrofit grill pack that will be available to customers on request. I should have it in stock in two weeks time.

Thanks for the update Des. Fair play for taking points made by customers on board and working to improve the kit.

Cheers Des for the update, and the efforts you're making. Would anyone have a photo of the engine exhaust on the roof or even a photo of something similar? Any help greatly appreciated. Richie.

Richie, I modelled the exhaust port as it currently exists, at a type of all-over cover. Perhaps this was added post-retirement?

The Q Class version is quite incorrect in the number of roof panels added so its open mouthed exhaust may also be conjecture.

I'll pop up a photo of the extant version when I'm back at base.

TTFN

Weshty.;)

Guest hidden-agenda

Well done Des a welcome solution. Its just a pity it took an organised posse to get at Anthony for pointing out the faults with this model.

Guest hidden-agenda
Platform2, yes it is free. If you have purchased a kit, then email me directly and I will post one out.

Good job Des your a gent but i suppose you would,nt consider giving a Maebh as well.=))