NCC W Class Mogul

Rate this topic

Saint Johnstoun

On 30/3/2022 at 10:09 PM, Robert Shrives said:

This is great work and I am  sure bound to get the good gents and IRM towers to create an rtr version which will be announced as yours leave the paint shop....  

I really look forward to seeing updates as these are icons of the Northern scene.

Robert   

That would be typical of model railways

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These two are looking great, really good work! Never seen a mogul done like this before, so watching with interest!

When I did my jeep (described on here a few years ago, the lining was the nightmare for me - the straw and red UTA lining is really difficult to get right. I ended up doing the straw first, light coat of varnish, and then the red inner line which seemed to work ok, but was really difficult to do. Needless to say, I couldn't find a source of transfers that would do the job. 

Richard.

These two are looking great, really good work! Never seen a mogul done like this before, so watching with interest!

When I did my jeep (described on here a few years ago, the lining was the nightmare for me - the straw and red UTA lining is really difficult to get right. I ended up doing the straw first, light coat of varnish, and then the red inner line which seemed to work ok, but was really difficult to do. Needless to say, I couldn't find a source of transfers that would do the job. 

for my later BCDR tank, James Hilton finished the painting and lining for me, link here:

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2021/05/commission-irish-4-4-2t-paintwork.html

Richard.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Richard EH said:

Richard.

for my later BCDR tank, James Hilton finished the painting and lining for me, link here:

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2021/05/commission-irish-4-4-2t-paintwork.html

Richard.

I do like the 4-4-2 tank - a clever adaptation of the Adams Radial Tank.  I have done something similar with an N class Mogul to create a SECR 'River' class 2-6-4 tank - I trust I will be forgiven for putting a photo of it on here as it is of course a cousin of the GSWR K1 Class Moguls.

DSCF2222 (2).JPG

The Cab and bunker came from a spare Fowler 2-6-4 tank body I used parts of to create the W class Mogul.   

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Saint Johnstoun said:

Now with some decals.  I still have to find suitable lining.

DSCF4566.JPG

DSCF4568.JPG

Very nice jobs indeed! The UTA roundels look to be the right size too - many iterations of these transfers in the past are clearly far too big. You mention the lining - this could be a challenge as some UTA models end up with what looks like yellow and red lining, or even white. I think this is because these are readily available, though I'm not sure.

The correct UTA colour is a beige-straw-like colour and red, rather than yellow; the yellow and red lining was created in the 1990s specifically for RPSI Whitehead Mk 2s, with the deliberate aim of looking vaguely UTA-ish, but not actual UTA! (I know, myself and the then RPSI carriage officer had a hand in it!)