Rate this question

MauriceJ

Question

22 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, murphaph said:

If you are looking for an actual recording of that exact prime mover and exhaust combination, then it may well be, assuming it is an actual recording of that prime mover. I satisfy myself with the T (turbo) versions here:

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?cat=18&q=12-645

Ahh ok, it’s a close kept secret so ay.. Yea I wouldn’t be too fussy. I just want a loco that doesn’t sound as high pitched as most of the sound chip options out there. I’d say it’s a big job for you altering audio files and programming decoders? 

7 hours ago, MauriceJ said:

Ahh ok, it’s a close kept secret so ay.. Yea I wouldn’t be too fussy. I just want a loco that doesn’t sound as high pitched as most of the sound chip options out there. I’d say it’s a big job for you altering audio files and programming decoders? 

If you are going to be into sound on more than just one or two locos, I can only recommend buying yourself an ESU Lokprogrammer. Once you make one "071" file (using one of the American files as a base and just swapping the horn sounds really if you want to, which are available from the Murphy Models 071 project on the ESU website) you can just flash that file to any decoder you want to put in an 071. Same goes for the other GMs. The original v4 Murphy Models files can of course be used directly but v4 files do not contain the "full throttle" features which I would not want to be without (drive hold especially) and I think the sound quality is supposed to be poorer than the hifi v5 files. If you say where you are, maybe someone with a Lokprogrammer can show you the basics. It's really not that tricky and if you are out of your depth modifying the files, I would be happy to send you one I've already modified so you can skip that part. Flashing a file to the decoder is really quite simple with the Lokprogrammer. As you can buy cheaper blank decoders it pays for itself if you have a few GMs to do.

• Informative 1

Cheers yes i’ve done some digging re lokprogrammer. I am very interested in going for it, but I only have a Mac computer, I believe the software only works on Windows 10? I’m based in Dublin, would definitely appreciate the help if I do find an old laptop or something that can run the software :)

Yeah it's Windows only software I'm afraid. I don't know how well it would run under Parallels or whatever Apple calls it but I run it on a virtual Windows running inside Linux and it is just fine.  A cheapo used/free laptop with Windows on it would be fine too. It's not doing anything very taxing of the system.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Yeah it's Windows only software I'm afraid. I don't know how well it would run under Parallels or whatever Apple calls it but I run it on a virtual Windows running inside Linux and it is just fine.  A cheapo used/free laptop with Windows on it would be fine too. It's not doing anything very taxing of the system.

Thanks, yeah I have an old laptop somewhere that should do the job.. I have a Murphy’s chip that i’d like to change engine sound, are they locked, or can you re blow them?

Wheeltappers do a version of the 071 sounds based on the ESU chip, if one is going to use the Locprogrammer it is best to stick with compatable sound chips- ESU, the Zimo chip system has it's own programmer and most likely it's own convention for programming so may not be compatable with the Locprogrammer. Most sound chip manufacturs have their own programming systems and are not cross compatable?

The Wheeltapper's chip is £133.00 and would be the best starting point if going for ESU, the chip is already programmed so that helps.

The pitch of the sound is mainly down to the type of speaker or speakers used, big base speakers are best but will require more fettling to the model........

Eoin

52 minutes ago, murrayec said:

Wheeltappers do a version of the 071 sounds based on the ESU chip, if one is going to use the Locprogrammer it is best to stick with compatable sound chips- ESU, the Zimo chip system has it's own programmer and most likely it's own convention for programming so may not be compatable with the Locprogrammer. Most sound chip manufacturs have their own programming systems and are not cross compatable?

The Wheeltapper's chip is £133.00 and would be the best starting point if going for ESU, the chip is already programmed so that helps.

The pitch of the sound is mainly down to the type of speaker or speakers used, big base speakers are best but will require more fettling to the model........

Eoin

Cheers, yea I do have a wheeltappers chip in my MM 112, and i’m very happy with that. I’ve been trawling through ESU sound files, and I recon most 071 ESU chips are based off this prime mover sound: http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?q=S0809

Correct me if i’m wrong on that..

I can’t find any files with the exact 071 prime mover 645E3C, but I think this one is pretty close:

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?q=S0539

On 14/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, murrayec said:

Eoin

Jesus, £133? Factor in the exchange rate and possible import duty and that could get expensive very quickly!

Blank Loksound decoders are available for €100 from Germany.

On 13/10/2022 at 4:13 PM, MauriceJ said:

Thanks, yeah I have an old laptop somewhere that should do the job.. I have a Murphy’s chip that i’d like to change engine sound, are they locked, or can you re blow them?

The ESU software will run an pretty much any old windows PC without any issues.

The any ESU decoder can be reblown with the Lokprogrammer, including the Murphy ones.

• Agree 1

On 14/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, MauriceJ said:

Cheers, yea I do have a wheeltappers chip in my MM 112, and i’m very happy with that. I’ve been trawling through ESU sound files, and I recon most 071 ESU chips are based off this prime mover sound: http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?q=S0809

Correct me if i’m wrong on that..

I can’t find any files with the exact 071 prime mover 645E3C, but I think this one is pretty close:

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?q=S0539

There are a couple of 645 files that are suitable for the 071 which are the 12 cylinder version, but to be honest you can use the 16 cylinder versions as well. It would very difficult to tell the difference sound-wise in 00 scale models. 

You can also use the same file in multiple models and subtly change the sound of each one with certain settings on the Lokprogrammer.

1 hour ago, irishthump said:

There are a couple of 645 files that are suitable for the 071 which are the 12 cylinder version, but to be honest you can use the 16 cylinder versions as well. It would very difficult to tell the difference sound-wise in 00 scale models. 

You can also use the same file in multiple models and subtly change the sound of each one with certain settings on the Lokprogrammer.

Cheers yea I agree on that, i’m really liking this 20cylinder file, it has a low idle that sounds very cool:

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?cat=2&q=75407

I have a Lokprogrammer on order from Germany.. Getting a grip of the software for now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MauriceJ said:

Cheers yea I agree on that, i’m really liking this 20cylinder file, it has a low idle that sounds very cool:

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?cat=2&q=75407

I have a Lokprogrammer on order from Germany.. Getting a grip of the software for now.

Congrats on taking the plunge! It was one of the best investments I ever made, it gives you so much flexability. You can even order the sound files from places like Wheeltappers and load them to the decoders yourself if you like.

It's great that you can download the software for free and try it before you even buy the programmer. It's not to hard to get to grips with the basics. If  I can help at all just message me, I'm based in Dublin as well.

Have joined ESU IO group? It's a great resource for information.

https://groups.io/g/Loksound

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Congrats on taking the plunge! It was one of the best investments I ever made, it gives you so much flexability. You can even order the sound files from places like Wheeltappers and load them to the decoders yourself if you like.

It's great that you can download the software for free and try it before you even buy the programmer. It's not to hard to get to grips with the basics. If  I can help at all just message me, I'm based in Dublin as well.

Have joined ESU IO group? It's a great resource for information.

https://groups.io/g/Loksound

Thank you! It’s great that it allows you to constantly upgrade as new sounds come out 👌🏼
Yes exactly, I had a good mess about with the software, then went ahead and ordered the unit haha. Good stuff cheers, i’m sure i’ll be on to ya!

I haven’t, but I will now

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MauriceJ said:

Hey guys, 

I have a lokprogrammer question.. I want to transfer sounds between these 2 files but one of them does not have a “sound” menu. Is there any way around this?

Cheers

0121B93C-9B4B-4965-A42B-F6F2BE016DB9.jpeg

FBB438FD-9DA1-42DE-90FA-54992A37F3D1.jpeg

Nevermind, just found a HIFI version of that file.

Neil's is probably the top sound guy for Irish Diesel locos, and has added excellent prototypical driving characteristics to his projects (eg coasting, long distance braking, train loads, cascading buffer clash as the length of a goods train buffers up when train is decelerating or stopping, cascading coupling snatch (ie for older loose coupled wagon trains), rail clank and range squeals, etc. The MM projects built by ESU are poor vanilla sound projects completely lacking in prototypical driving behaviour. Keith Pearsons Zimo projects also nice to drive but the prime movers are not quire as good, especially the baby GMs which were recorded from actual 141/181s but just lack the deep tones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Noel said:

Neil's is probably the top sound guy for Irish Diesel locos, and has added excellent prototypical driving characteristics to his projects (eg coasting, long distance braking, train loads, cascading buffer clash as the length of a goods train buffers up when train is decelerating or stopping, cascading coupling snatch (ie for older loose coupled wagon trains), rail clank and range squeals, etc. The MM projects built by ESU are poor vanilla sound projects completely lacking in prototypical driving behaviour. Keith Pearsons Zimo projects also nice to drive but the prime movers are not quire as good, especially the baby GMs which were recorded from actual 141/181s but just lack the deep tones.

I’d second that, he’s been very accommodating with this file. I’ve asked for a few tweaks and he’s done them straight away! The main reason I wanted this prime mover is for the low idle function, which I think sounds great 👌🏼

• Like 1